cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send emails from iPhone

DaveYoung1959
Tuning in

Since updating to IOS17 I have been unable to send emails from my blueyonder.co.uk address. I still receive them. I can send emails via Web but not on iPhone.

Any advice would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DaveYoung1959 wrote:

I can send emails via Web but not on iPhone.

Those are the classic symptoms of VM having blocked the IP address of your VM home network but does your email app give any error messages as to why it cannot send emails?

To trouble shoot the problem try switching to using you mobile data network rather than your VM wifi on your iPhone. If you do that you will be sending from an IP address assigned by your mobile provider rather than your VM IP address.

If you can send emails when using mobile data that's a strong indication that your VM IP address has been blocked.

However, if you still cannot send emails that suggests there is an issue with your email app, possibly linked to the recent update.

Post back with how the mobile data test goes.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DaveYoung1959 wrote:

I can send emails via Web but not on iPhone.

Those are the classic symptoms of VM having blocked the IP address of your VM home network but does your email app give any error messages as to why it cannot send emails?

To trouble shoot the problem try switching to using you mobile data network rather than your VM wifi on your iPhone. If you do that you will be sending from an IP address assigned by your mobile provider rather than your VM IP address.

If you can send emails when using mobile data that's a strong indication that your VM IP address has been blocked.

However, if you still cannot send emails that suggests there is an issue with your email app, possibly linked to the recent update.

Post back with how the mobile data test goes.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Many thanks for the response. Tried switching off WiFi but still unable to send from Iphone.

There is no other message other than sender invalid

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DaveYoung1959 wrote:

Tried switching off WiFi but still unable to send from Iphone.

There is no other message other than sender invalid

Thanks for that update. If you still cannot send over mobile data that means the problem is not caused by your VM IP address being blocked. That's good news actually.

The mail app error " "The sender address was invalid"  would suggest that there is a problem with the sender details in the Blueyonder outgoing settings of the mail app on your iPhone. It is possible that they got corrupted in some way during your recent update.

You could try updating those details the mail app but most people find the easiest way to resolve these issues is to remove/delete the account from the mail app and then set it up again as a new account. IOS mail apps don't seem to take kindly to you updating their settings.

Note that I am not suggesting that you delete your Blueyonder account from the VM website, just delete it from the settings in the mail app. When you set it up again in the mail app it should download all your BY emails from the VM webmail account so you will not lose anything.

Coenoby

Many thanks for the reply and the information.

I deleted the account from the IPhone and added account again.

I also had to set up a new password.

I now have my emails back and am able to send emails but only on my home WiFi (not when WiFi switched off) but I can live with that.

Many thanks for your help

Update

I can now also send emails from outwith WiFi so that seems to be everything sorted.

Once again thanks fir your help and advice.

Excellent news @DaveYoung1959, and thanks for the update.

Do feel free to return to us if you require any further assistance.

Thanks,

David_Bn

speedboat18
Joining in

I have the same problem from my iPhone and iPad. I’ve had it intermittent before but now its been 3wks since I can send a email fro my device, i can receive emails ok. I have checked the IP address and it is not blocked. I have also setup my email again and still not able to send emails