cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New V6 remote

raygannon
Tuning in

I've recently renegotiated my contract with VM which involved a TV package upgrade on my V6 box. I've got the old chunky V6 remote.  The guy I spoke to said he was getting a new voice controlled remote sent out to me.

I've got the promised upgrade channels on my box but no sign yet of a new remote or any on screen instructions to upgrade the firmware.

2 questions please....

1. Do upgrade remotes normally get delivered fairly quickly or do I need to rattle a few cages?

2. How is the firmware upgrade triggered?

Thanks all,

Ray

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@raygannon wrote:

I've recently renegotiated my contract with VM which involved a TV package upgrade on my V6 box.........getting a new voice controlled remote sent out to me.

You have not been told the whole story. Your TV package upgrade is exactly that, just a change of package - it has nothing to do with your choice of TV box software. You have also been sold a conversion to TV360, which is a completely different TV platform and is fundamentally not TiVo/V6. It is substantially different, akin to being sold an Apple device instead of an Android one.

Are you aware of the substantial differences between TiVo/V6 & TV360? It's rarely wise to do this voluntary conversion without being aware of them. On the basis that you are, the normal process is that the new remote is sent out within "a few days" and an "upgrade now" icon appears on your V6 menu.

You have a short time to voluntarily begin the migration process before it's done automatically. Your V6 hard-drive is reformatted & the Horizon TV360 firmware installed. All recordings & series-links are lost as part of this process.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@raygannon wrote:

I've recently renegotiated my contract with VM which involved a TV package upgrade on my V6 box.........getting a new voice controlled remote sent out to me.

You have not been told the whole story. Your TV package upgrade is exactly that, just a change of package - it has nothing to do with your choice of TV box software. You have also been sold a conversion to TV360, which is a completely different TV platform and is fundamentally not TiVo/V6. It is substantially different, akin to being sold an Apple device instead of an Android one.

Are you aware of the substantial differences between TiVo/V6 & TV360? It's rarely wise to do this voluntary conversion without being aware of them. On the basis that you are, the normal process is that the new remote is sent out within "a few days" and an "upgrade now" icon appears on your V6 menu.

You have a short time to voluntarily begin the migration process before it's done automatically. Your V6 hard-drive is reformatted & the Horizon TV360 firmware installed. All recordings & series-links are lost as part of this process.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tavis75
Super solver

As has been said, there are a number of downsides to the 360 box as compared to the V6. I will list them below in the hope that maybe somebody will read them before getting talked into switching, though generally by the time people check these forums it's to ask how to switch back and too late to do anything, but you never know...

Some of the missing features are as follows; Wishlists (where you can set the box to record programs on certain subjects or featuring certain people), undelete, series link+, series link manager, suggestions, setting of series links for programs not in the current TV guide, ethernet control, keyboard support via USB, switching between tuners with constant buffering, skip-back on fast-forward, quickplay, default recording options, cancelling individual recordings from a series link, multi-channel series links, radio channels allowing recording of radio, separation of recordings between boxes, watching recordings when internet is not available and probably a few others I've forgotten.

Also, extra boxes do not have their own hard disks or tuners (unless converted from a V6 box), so you lose storage space and recording ability and are also reliant on the main box being on to watch and set recordings and also on having a decent wi-fi signal (or ethernet cable) between the two boxes when watching recordings.

Stephen_Bubbles
Dialled in

Please do not do it. 

As it's been stated, the loss of features is staggering and sadly I'm one of the many who only found the forums after "upgrading" and like many, many others, I'm left wishing I hadn't.

360 is an abomination 

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @raygannon 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us, apologies for the delay in responding to your query. I can see that you have reached out to our contact team, can I ask, has the issue now been resolved? 

Please let us know. 

Sabrina

It has, but needed an extended phone call to fix it

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Sorry to hear we weren't able to get the issue resolved as quickly as we'd hoped raygannon.

If you do need any further help from here please just give us a shout.

Beth