cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase my WiFi speed before I go elsewhere

nbye429
Tuning in

I live in a standard small 3 bed house with plasterboard walls. I have a VM3 hub and get average 500mb into the house. tv keeps spooling and I am getting around 10% or less of the speed from the hub. My contract ends in April and debating between downgrading my speed so I pay less since I am not actually able to get the WiFi speed I would expect.

I do realise that there will be a difference between the hub speed and the speed into the Wi-Fi devices.

Try to get all 3 booster pods to hopefully improve the actual speed to my devices. Which I think it would be a miracle based on my decades of VM customer experience.

Or leave VM and go to BT/EE or another supplier.

I originally wanted to pay a bit more and get the 1gb speed to ensure that I got a good speed but that is unlikely to happen now.

I would also like VM to come and correctly fix the cable box to my outside wall after botching the initial box installation.

Any help to resolve this would be appreciated as would not to look elsewhere.

5 REPLIES 5

@legacy1 wrote:

Get this and be set for many years with hub in modem mode

ASUS TUF Gaming AX6000 Dual Band WiFi 6 Extendable Gaming Router, Dual 2.5G Ports, Gaming Port, Mobi...

1aTTack.de 1m - Cat6 Lan Ethernet Cable Patch Network Cat 6 1000 Mbit/s RJ45 Plug Internet for TV Co...

You are wasting your breath. These kind of customers don't expect to pay a penny more to get decent Wi-Fi across their home, even though their contract is for the speed to the HUB over the VM network, not full speed to wireless devices. Cheap rented kit is the way forward!

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

One thing you should certainly not do is increase the contract speed as you mentioned. It will not improve the WiFi speed at all. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jpeg1 wrote:

One thing you should certainly not do is increase the contract speed as you mentioned. It will not improve the WiFi speed at all. 

This, sadly is often sold on these Forums as a solution to weak Wifi.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

Buffering on TV streaming can be a problem of the TV, once the apps stop being updated it may not be long before problems start to show up.