cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin dug up my street and I have no tv service.

Liesa
Joining in

I live in Edinburgh and last week Virgin Media dug up our street and now I have no tv service. I have called the number given on the street notice 50 minutes (the person was in India and said they knew nothing about it) I have e mailed - nothing. 
I have tried calling virgin customer support but cannot get through the system as I am not a virgin customer so no account number etc I would like a call from someone at Virgin media to tell me that the cable will be repaired and my service restored. I have free view so no provider. 

5 REPLIES 5

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Liesa,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first post.

Sorry to hear your service has been affected by street work. This is not the experience we would like to provide while doing area work. We would advise getting in contact with your TV service provider who can resolve this for you. They will then contact us if needed to resolve the cable issue.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I do not have a tv service provider - I have a Freeview box only so no one else is responsible for this problem.

I have asked Virgin (quite a large tv and communications company I understand!) if a tv engineer could come to the house to see the problem but as I am not a Virgin customer the answer is no. I would have thought an hour of an engineers time was not too much to ask - and I have already advised that should the problem be entirely coincidental.....!  I will pay the call out fee.

This all happened on 2nd/3rd April and my mum died on 10th April so I am dealing with a vast amount on my plate and am at my wits end to know what I can do to restore my TV service. I just keep bursting into tears as no one is prepared to help and actually come and see what the TV says on screen etc. All Virgin say is that they have resolved all faults and all my neighbours issues - lovely for my neighbours but I still have no tv service!

Please please Virgin help - send one of your tv experts to the house to see if the issue can be resolved?

Good morning @Liesa 

Thanks for coming back to us. Condolences from all at Virgin Media.

I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Liesa wrote:

I do not have a tv service provider - I have a Freeview box only so no one else is responsible for this problem.

I have asked Virgin (quite a large tv and communications company I understand!) if a tv engineer could come to the house to see the problem but as I am not a Virgin customer the answer is no. I would have thought an hour of an engineers time was not too much to ask - and I have already advised that should the problem be entirely coincidental.....!  I will pay the call out fee.

This all happened on 2nd/3rd April and my mum died on 10th April so I am dealing with a vast amount on my plate and am at my wits end to know what I can do to restore my TV service. I just keep bursting into tears as no one is prepared to help and actually come and see what the TV says on screen etc. All Virgin say is that they have resolved all faults and all my neighbours issues - lovely for my neighbours but I still have no tv service!

Please please Virgin help - send one of your tv experts to the house to see if the issue can be resolved?

Virgin Media is a PAY TV service. They rent you a box to receive channels from their own cable. Free view is an off-air broadcast service received through a rooftop aerial. It has nothing to do with the surrounding underground cabling & is certainly not VMs problem. VM engineers are not insured to work on anything not owned or operated by VM, so you will get nowhere trying to get them to fix it.

It reminds me of when my elderly grandfather (who was not technically minded) kept calling the BBC when his aerial broke & expected them to fix it out of his licence fee.

1) If the rooftop aerial is your own, call a local aerial fitter & they will investigate.

2) If you are in a block of flats maintained by a management company, contact them to resolve the issue.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Check that the aerial cable and HDMI cable are not damaged and firmly connected at both ends. Have you tried a replacement HDMI cable and/or a different HDMI input on the TV?

It's possible that the Freeview box will work if rebooted. If you still have no picture can you get hold of another box or TV with built-in Freeview.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection