cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Connection ETA

89537kay3
Dialled in

Hi all!

So had VM and Sub Contractors out this morning running Fibre cables in my street and Northampton is one of the county's due for FTTP rollout this year still (Doubt that).

Anyone know how long it takes from cables being ran to me being able to switch / order an FTTP connection? Currently on the Mega Volt bundle with 1Gig internet and Hub 5 but super excited for the Hub5x with 10G ethernet and a decent FTTP connection.

Thanks

I do not work for VM. Qualified IT Technician. Virgin Volt Bundle - 1Gig, Hub 5 Modem Mode & ASUS GT-AXE16000, 2x Tivo V6's. VM customer for over 6 years.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @89537kay3 

Thanks for your interest in the the XGS-PON services. 
Once the area is all set up and ready to go we'll be in touch. Ensure your marketing preferences are up to date with your preferred method of contact. In order to update your marketing preferences, just sign in to My VM here, then click on Account settings > Marketing preferences > Edit my preferences. From here you can choose whether you want to receive marketing from us. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

XGS-PON services are not yet being sold in existing HFC/RFoG areas. Also you need to bear in mind that where these services are being sold, there are no V360/V6 TV services available (apart from Virgin Stream, which has no recording capabilities or multiroom option). Broadcast TV services are only available on the existing HFC or RFoG networks.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

TV services don't phase me - I'd be quite happy with the stream boxes. Honestly, it's just my kids that watch TV. And I'm sure a solution will come soon enough (Alternatively I'd be interested to see if Virgin would just keep the coaxel in place for TV, however not sure how possible that is).

Services are available for sale to existing HFC / RFoG areas - A friend of mine switched from it to FTTP when he renewed his contract. Is there any information about this on the forums?

I do not work for VM. Qualified IT Technician. Virgin Volt Bundle - 1Gig, Hub 5 Modem Mode & ASUS GT-AXE16000, 2x Tivo V6's. VM customer for over 6 years.

When they upgrade HFC areas will the V6/360 boxes been unusable? 

I was under the impression when they switch over to Fibre everything still works? Or are you referring to new areas that have no existing HFC network ? 

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The new fibre network runs alonside the existing HFC network with new cabinets installed next to existing ones. So, when an area gets fibre to the last cabinet and is ready to go live, it can be marketed with migrated customers getting fibre and the coaxial cables being removed. However Liberty Global has no recordable IPTV box to provide to VM, so a TV customer in an HFC area should not be tempted to migrate to fibre.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Yes - V6 / 360 boxes cannot be used over FTTP connections.

i'm not 100% sure if coaxel is deffo removed or left in place for TV. However, as it stands if the coaxel is removed / deactivated, your V6 / 360 boxes will not work.

You are offered stream boxes instead.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

VM is migrating to an all-fibre network and for the latest XGS-PON the hub 5X is used. When a recordable IPTV box is available it will connect to the hub via either an Ethernet cable or WiFi, and VM will finally be able to remove the coaxial cabling including the drop cable which is clogging up the ducts.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

89537kay3
Dialled in

Any VM staff able to advise on the above?

We had VM in the street today installing the newer dark green FTTP cabinets, so we must be close

Hi @89537kay3 

Thanks for your interest in the the XGS-PON services. 
Once the area is all set up and ready to go we'll be in touch. Ensure your marketing preferences are up to date with your preferred method of contact. In order to update your marketing preferences, just sign in to My VM here, then click on Account settings > Marketing preferences > Edit my preferences. From here you can choose whether you want to receive marketing from us. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Awesome, that's great thank you! Do you know if this also definitely applies to existing customers too?