cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting my unused folders

Namsuas
Joining in

The recent loss of historic emails prompted me into doing some housekeeping of my email account.  I now have a number of email folders I previously created that are empty and longer needed.  I want to delete these folders but when I try I get the message "Could not delete folder. This can be due to insufficient permissions in your trash folder or this might be a special folder that cannot be deleted".  I can't find out how to change permissions for trash folder and my folders are not a special folders as far as I am aware.  This is using the Virgin Webmail and an email app on my phone.

20 REPLIES 20

Namsuas
Joining in

I should add that I cannot rename the folders either.

Hi Namsuas

Thanks for taking the time to post in regards to your email account and removing unwanted/unused folders, we appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forums.

To remove them, click on the folder in the menu on the left and left click it should open a 3 bar option to the right, if you click on this it will then provide multiple options including rename, move, empty and delete.

Let us know if this helps 🙂

Rob

Namsuas
Joining in

Hi, this is what I am trying to do but it gives the message "Could not delete folder. This can be due to insufficient permissions in your trash folder or this might be a special folder that cannot be deleted" hence me asking on this forum. I have tried this in Virgin Webmail and on the Blue mail app on my mobile phone to no avail.

Very strange, we have tried here via one of our accounts and it all shows. Do you get the option and then when you try to perform the action it gives the error message?

When were you last able to do this or make any kind of changes?

Rob

Namsuas
Joining in

It lets me select delete and then the message pops up. I have never tried to delete the folders before. They were created by me and used up until the historic emails problem started a few weeks ago. 

Are you able to confirm if this has been a result of the recent email issues Namsuas or was it a while prior that you last tried to make changes/delete any of these folders?

Rob

Namsuas
Joining in

It is since the email problem has been fixed that I am trying to delete the folders and am having the problem. Never needed to do it before.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does selecting the Clean up option before attempting the delete resolve the issue?~2023-07-14.jpeg

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Namsuas
Joining in

No, sorry it doesn't make a difference:

Namsuas_0-1689353535008.png

Thanks for all your efforts, I think I'll just have to live with the unused folders.  I suppose I could unsubscribe to them in the options.