cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't delete email folder on android phone.

MrsMoose
Tuning in

I have a blueyonder email account and a gmail one.

I was working on my laptop and wanted to create a folder - called say XXYY -  on my gmail account but mistakenly put it on my blueyonder one.

It was easy enough to put this right on my laptop and delete the unwanted folder from blueyonder.

But for some reason I cannot get rid of this mistakenly created folder from my phone. Everytime I look into my blueyonder email there, there is now a horrible XXYY plus a 0 (to show it's empty) - write at the top of the screen.

Any ideas how to get rid of it?

Many thanks

Mrs M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @MrsMoose 

Thanks for your post. 

Let us know how you get on after doing what has been suggested by Coenoby or if you need any further support. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MrsMoose 

I have just tested this out myself,

I set up a new test folder in my Ntlworld email account. Then went into the Gmail app on my android phone and saw the same message that you report  "XXYY plus a 0 (to show it's empty) - write at the top of the screen."

I then went back to the my Ntlworld account and deleted the test folder. When Iopened the Gmail app again the test folder and the "empty" message had disappeared.

That's what I expected because the Gmail app should just replicate what appears in your VM webmail account. So it seems your Gmail app is not playing nicely.

I would suggest that you sign into your Blueyonder account on the VM website, you can do that from here https://mail.virginmedia.com  Then check that the XXYY folder does not appear in the "My folders" list and if it does delete it.

Then go into the Webmail settings by clicking on the cog symbol to the top right of the page.  Then click on "E-mail" in the menu that comes up on the left and three boxes will open up. Click on the "Change IMAP subscriptions" box and a list of all your folders will come up. XXYY should not be listed, but if it is then make sure that the box beside it is not ticked.

Then click on "Save" at the bottom of the list.

Do you use any other email apps to manage your Blueyonder account, such as Outlook or Mail perhaps on a laptop? If so check those and make sure that XXYY does not show up on those. Again if it does you should delete it from those apps as well.

Then go back and restart the Gmail app.

If you do all that and the XXYY folder is still showing in the Gmail app then I am stumped.

I don't think VM will be able to help either because if the XXYY folder is not present in your Blueyonder account then it's a Gmail issue not a VM problem.

One thing I have just wondered though. After deleting the XXYY folder from your Blueyonder account did you set up a XXYY folder in your Gmail account? If so the message you are seeing could relate to the Gmail version not the now deleted Bluyonder folder.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @MrsMoose 

Thanks for your post. 

Let us know how you get on after doing what has been suggested by Coenoby or if you need any further support. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

MrsMoose
Tuning in

Hi, I have tried doing what Coenoby suggested and have unchecked the box marked XXYY in the IMAP list of folders, but it is still showing up on my phone.

I could try removing the blueyonder account on my phone, then putting it back again.

Alternatively I could try and look into the set up on my Outlook app in my laptop, but am not sure how this should be done.

Thanks

Mrs M

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MrsMoose wrote:

have unchecked the box marked XXYY in the IMAP list of folders, but it is still showing up on my phone.

If the XXYY folder is still showing in the list of Subscribed folders in your VM webmail account on the VM website that means that the folder still exists on your VM email account. 

Does it still show up in the list of folders (under My folders) in the list of folders on the left hand side of the main email page? Bear in mind that you have to click on the > symbol beside "My folders" to display the full list of folders.

Coenoby

.list of folders.png

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Hi MrsMoose 👋 Thank you for getting back to us to let us know. 

(Also thanks to Coenoby for their support!) Have you been able to follow their updated advice? 
Let us know how you get on so we can all continue to offer support if needed! 
Thanks for your patience in the meantime. All the best! 🌞

Molly

MrsMoose
Tuning in

I believe I have found the answer on this thread. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/outlook-for-android-app-retains-long-delet...

But I don't know where my application manager is. Can anyone help?

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MrsMoose wrote:

But I don't know where my application manager is. Can anyone help?

Personally, I have my doubts the instructions in that post will solve your problem.However, here goes:

That post refers to the "Application manager" but it depends on which version of Android your phone is running. My Android phone is running Android 13 and  the function of Application manager is called "App info".

Whatever it's called, it's a cog wheel symbol but as far as finding it is concerned, well, it depends where you have that icon placed on your phone's screen.

Once you have found  that cog wheel icon on your phone, touch it and it will open up a screen headed "Settings".

Then scroll down the list and find "Apps" Touch that and it will open up a screen headed "Apps"

Look for "Manage apps" in the list and touch that. 

Then scroll through the list to find "Outlook" and touch that.

I don't use Outllook on my phone but you should then see an icon at the bottom of the screen marked  "Clear data".

Personally I would not recommend you doing that but if you are happy to then fair enough.

My concern is that you said in an earlier post that you had  "unchecked the box marked XXYY in the IMAP list of folders" in your webmail account.

The thing is that if the XXYY folder is stilt listed there it means that the XXYY folder has not been deleted from your VM webmail account.

If that is the case then deleting the data in the Outlook app will not solve your problem because the next time you run Outlook it will pick up and display the XXYY folder again.

Coenoby

MrsMoose
Tuning in

Hi, just to say I am having no joy with this one.  The following screenshot shows that I have unchecked the relevant box - actually called postgrad - but it is still showing up on my phone at the top of my blueyonder account in Grmail. (Not on laptop). It is irritating so if there are any further suggestions as to how to get rid of it completely from Virgin email that would be much appreciated.  NB It seems to be in a different place than my other folders, which are all underneath the one marked 'agents'.  Agents and below were added when I was using the Windows Mail App but I recently changed to Outlook, because Mail will eventually be discontinued.

MrsMoose_0-1702226461809.png

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MrsMoose 

The image you posted explains what's happened.

The problem folder "postgrad" is a subfolder of the main Inbox folder whereas folders such as "agents" are personal folders in the "My Folders" section of your VM email account.

Looking at the inbox folder of my VM email account on the VM webmail service shows I have a similar situation. The folder "test inbox folder " is a sub folder I created a few months ago.

list of folders new.png

It is possible to create sub folders to the Inbox, Draft, Spam and Trash folders.

You did say in an earlier post "It was easy enough to put this right on my laptop and delete the unwanted folder from blueyonder.". However, your most recent image of the IMAP subscription box seems to suggest that did not actually work.

I would check that by going into your Blueyonder account on the VM website  https://mail.virginmedia.com    Check if that "postgrad" folder is showing in the folder list on the left hand side of the main screen You may have to click on the > symbol to the left of "Inbox" to display it.

When / if postgrad is displayed, click on the 3 horizontal lines just to the right and you will see a menu open up. At the bottom of the list you should see "delete" and if you click on that it will delete the postgrad folder.

Then once you open up your various email apps that folder should disappear from them as well.

Post back with how you get on.

Coenoby