cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost recordings

chriscjdj
Joining in

Hi - I'm new to the group and had a question. I've recently noticed that I'm unable to watch recordings of programmes from BBC1 that I've had stored for some time. Is this a new thing and is there a way to be able to watch these recordings or do I just delete them. Thanks for any advice. 

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Chris,

It sounds like these would have been fairly old recordings made in SD. These may have been lost due to the switchover from SD to HD. When a channel closes, as in this case BBC1,3 or 4 SD then recordings older than twelve months are deleted.

Please see /Digital-life/BBC-One-HD-and-BBC-Four-HD-are-moving-channels-BBC-Three-HD 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Chris,

It sounds like these would have been fairly old recordings made in SD. These may have been lost due to the switchover from SD to HD. When a channel closes, as in this case BBC1,3 or 4 SD then recordings older than twelve months are deleted.

Please see /Digital-life/BBC-One-HD-and-BBC-Four-HD-are-moving-channels-BBC-Three-HD 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

With pay TV services there is a caveat on the recording of content as being "for viewing at a more convenient time" ie. Time shifting. Recordings are not meant for the purpose of archiving. When channels close or are changed the programmes remain viewable for a period of up to 12 months as a background "ghost" channels of the one removed is still transmitted on the network. When this is removed the recordings will no longer play. If a Sky channel is removed then recordings will not play immediately after closure.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It's possible to view some previously-broadcast programmes on BBC iPlayer.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I find it somewhat annoying I can no longer view numerous BBC recordings I made because Virgin no longer have standard definition channels where the BBC are concerned.

Can somebody please tell me why this is?  I'd have thought once recordings were recorded on to my V6 hard drive, I would still be able to view them?

This is certainly the case with a movie I recorded from TCM, another channel now also defunct. I can still view the movie, despite the fact TCM is no more. But not the case where the BBC is concerned

. "Recordings are not meant for the purpose of archiving"

Really? It seems obvious to me that you would want to retain certain favorite programmes, to be able to watch again and again.

Also I've lost a number of BBC4 music documentaries recorded in HD, and when I try to watch them I get the message, "We're sorry, but this recording can't be viewed because BBC 4 HD is no longer available from Virgin Media.

BBC 4 HD is no longer available from Virgin Media.????!!!!!!!

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

It's not what you want, it's what the content owners want and they can dictate how long recordings can last for. And for streaming services many if not most programmes are not allowed to be recorded.

As for BBC Four HD: the channel number changed in England from 107 to 108 in January, so recordings made prior to the change are no longer available.

--

regentroad5
Up to speed

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

4 hours ago

It's not what you want, it's what the content owners want and they can dictate how long recordings can last for. And for streaming services many if not most programmes are not allowed to be recorded.

As for BBC Four HD: the channel number changed in England from 107 to 108 in January, so recordings made prior to the change are no longer available.

All of which sounds a pretty persuasive reason to ditch my V6 box when my present contract ends.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Good luck in finding another box which will give you what you want.

--

cje85
Trouble shooter

Sky Q retains recordings if a channel changes number or closes. I had a series from ITV Encore for years after it closed.