cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tivo Box very slow

CJBNessa
Joining in

My mum and dad have a Tivo box - I have POA for their account. The box takes a really long time to load iplayer or netflix or their recordings. I have tried a new handset but it is still painfully slow.

They have had a long time so I am sure it is due for a replacement box

They have broadband/wifi at their property.

I would also like something easier for them to navigate if that is possible - there are too many steps currently to get to iplayer or Netflix to watch the old programmmes that they enjoy

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

TiVo boxes are quite elderly by current standards, the hardware is around 13years old and your parents experience is of no surprise.

You/your parents will need to make a fundamental choice here - the same software as they are used to, is available on the much newer V6 box which has more recording tuners, more streaming apps, and is much quicker in general operation.

The alternative is to convert to the TV360 software which is totally different in a similar way that Android is totally different to Apple. There is no way to trial this software, so unless you know someone who already has one, you will have to sign-up blind - and it's not something you can revert.

I use a V6 so can't comment on TV360-software, but accessing iPlayer or Netflix apps should be a maximum of 9 button presses via Home > Apps & Games > My favourite apps. Or for iPlayer press red from any BBC channel, Netflix press red from Ch204

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Mr_K
Well-informed

Being that slow is faulty, report it. They should replace with a V6.

They should be replacing all these ancient boxes,  and not waiting for customers to kick up a fuss. Might be a false economy if they become ex-customers  not realising a decent service is available ( but only by request!)

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello CJBNessa

Thank you for raising your set top box query via the forums in regards to your parent services. We understand the concern relating to the slow box.

We aren't able to make package changes via the Forums, as japitts has mentioned a move to the V6 may help in regards to the speed of the box but the software is the same in regards to navigation.

If you can give the team a call on 150 from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 454 1111 option 1, option 4 then option 4 this will get you through to the contracts team who will be able to look into this further for you. 

Rob

CJBNessa
Joining in

Thanks everyone for your answers. That is helpful to know the route I need to take. My main fear is that they do just about remember how to operate the Tivo box, and moving to a new box may make it difficult for them to remember the steps - they are both having short term memory problems.

Hi CJBNessa

I completely understand - the navigation steps are pretty similar on our newer set top boxes. They're mostly only minor changes. We do have some help pages here with information on how to use the TV service with a link to some videos too (I hope this would help!) I've noticed that some information is missing from the bottom of the page, but I've fed this back for review.

I can see that you haven't yet called about the TV box, but if you'd like us to take a look from here, give me a shout. We no longer offer Tivo boxes anymore, so they would need to be upgraded if we found the box to be faulty.

Kind regards

Beth

Alby41
Up to speed

I have a V6 box and it is very good , VM told me to recycle my old TiVo box , I cannot speak about the 360 box but there are issues .. as with some V6 boxes ..good luck....😃