cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No subtitles on TOTP!

EKUMA2024
Tuning in

Hello y'all

I am having the same recurring issue every week with old Top of the Pops episodes on BBC 4. The subtitles will NOT activate. I've tried everything and they will just not come on. Why is this?! I do not have this problem with any other programme. The Top of the Pops are broadcast every Friday 19:00-21:00. All 4 episodes - no subtitles!! 

However, when the TOTP episodes are repeated later on the subtitles work fine! Eh?! What is going on here?! It is baffling. Does anybody else have this issue? It used to only occur on my TiVo box approx. once every 3-4 months. Now, it's happening every week and it's spoiling my enjoyment of TOTP. I really like subtitles on TOTP. 

Please somebody shed some light on this enigma....

Cheers

Mark R. Porritt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @EKUMA2024 keep us posted so we can offer further support if required.

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @EKUMA2024 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear of your concerns with the subtitles on BBC 4. 
Is the repeats that are shown later on the same channel number or a different channel number. 

Can you test to see if the subtitles work fine on programmes just before and after the TOTP on BBC4 or on other BBC4 programmes at all?

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@EKUMA2024 wrote:

I've tried everything and they will just not come on

Can you be more specific about what "everything" is, that you've tried? It's hard to advise without a full picture of the issue and fixes attempted thus far.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes, other BBC 4 programmes work fine. All other recordings work fine. I record news programmes, soaps, documentaries, all sorts. This issue only occurs with TOTP when they are first broadcast on Friday evenings 19:00-21:00. Again, I reiterate - this glitch ONLY happens with TOTP. 

I find it absolutely baffling. I mean, these TOTP episodes are decades old, so the subtitles should already be loaded up and ready to activate. And like I said above, it's happening EVERY week now and it's totally spoiling my musical experience. TOTP is / was one of my fave shows of all time! 

Also, I don't think there is a BBC 4+1 channel, so I'm stuck with just BBC 4 (channel 108). 

And, I try repeatedly pressing the Subtitles button on my remote control - no subtitles.

I press the Info button and activate the subtitles on there (multiple times) - no subtitles.

What else can I do?! . 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @EKUMA2024 

I haven't tried to watch the programs live, however the subtitles are available when watching them via iPlayer.

The following works on the 360 and should work on the tivo/V6.

On iPlayer once you've loaded the program press Down twice on the remote control navigation button. This should place a cursor on a sub menu at the bottom of the screen, then using the left/right keys on the remote scroll across and click OK to turn on/off sub titles.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Yes, the subtitles on IPlayer will probably work just fine. However, I like to record TOTP's on the actual TiVo hard drive then play them back. It's easier, more convenient, and quicker to fast-forward through songs I don't like. Whereas using IPlayer it's slower and more awkward. V.M. need to sort this problem out as it's very annoying. 

Also, why don't you all try recording all 4 TOTP's this Friday from 19:00-21:00 and see if the same thing happens on your TiVo boxes! This will make a good experiment. Then I will know if it's just my TiVo box or if everybody's is doing the same thing. Try it, guys, please, I'm curious to see what unfolds....

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@EKUMA2024 wrote:

Yes, the subtitles on IPlayer will probably work just fine. However, I like to record TOTP's on the actual TiVo hard drive then play them back. It's easier, more convenient, and quicker to fast-forward through songs I don't like. Whereas using IPlayer it's slower and more awkward. V.M. need to sort this problem out as it's very annoying. 

Also, why don't you all try recording all 4 TOTP's this Friday from 19:00-21:00 and see if the same thing happens on your TiVo boxes! This will make a good experiment. Then I will know if it's just my TiVo box or if everybody's is doing the same thing. Try it, guys, please, I'm curious to see what unfolds....

I will set TOTP up to record, however I have a 360 box and not a Tivo.  (There are only two episodes listed for this Friday, (between 21:00 and 22:00, with repeats between 3:00 and 4:00 Saturday 27th April) and they may be dropped due to the Live World Championship Snooker which may over run)

Do you also have internet with VM? The reason I'm asking is that if you do and you have issues with your tivo box that can't be repaired then VM will swap it out for free to the newer V6 box. This has double the storage space for recording purposes, along with 6 tuners compared to the tivo's 3 tuners. It's also faster and has more apps. 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Yes, you are right, newapollo. Snooker is back and will probably run over and interfere with the TV schedules. I'm still gonna try the experiment though. I need to know what the heck is going on with these subtitles. It could even be supernatural in nature as I have heard many people describe how their electrical equipment behaves in weird and unexpected ways. I've had other incidents in my household and I could not find rational explanations. Tbh, I never know what's gonna happen next....

Hi @EKUMA2024 keep us posted so we can offer further support if required.

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Aha, TOTP is back today (Friday, 3rd May, 2024). 4 episodes (19:00-21:00). I'll record all 4 today and see what happens. Hopefully, the subtitles will activate this time. You guys make sure you record all 4 as well (19:00-21:00)! Thanks, guys!