cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No subtitles on TOTP!

EKUMA2024
Tuning in

Hello y'all

I am having the same recurring issue every week with old Top of the Pops episodes on BBC 4. The subtitles will NOT activate. I've tried everything and they will just not come on. Why is this?! I do not have this problem with any other programme. The Top of the Pops are broadcast every Friday 19:00-21:00. All 4 episodes - no subtitles!! 

However, when the TOTP episodes are repeated later on the subtitles work fine! Eh?! What is going on here?! It is baffling. Does anybody else have this issue? It used to only occur on my TiVo box approx. once every 3-4 months. Now, it's happening every week and it's spoiling my enjoyment of TOTP. I really like subtitles on TOTP. 

Please somebody shed some light on this enigma....

Cheers

Mark R. Porritt

23 REPLIES 23

It's still happening, Ayisha_B. Yesterday, I recorded all 4 episodes of TOTP and subtitles would NOT activate on any of them. However, when I caught up the recordings the subtitles would pop up, but when I re-wound a few minutes they would disappear again!! What the heck is going on here?! Can you do something about this. It's really spoiling my enjoyment of TOTP. 

Btw, every recorded episode I caught up the subtitles would magically appear. But, if I re-wound or went back to the start of the show they would NOT come back on at all. This weird glitch occurs only on TOTP (19:00-21:00). Also, the subtitles on the repeated episodes later on still work fine. Mind-boggling.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Mark,

Sorry I forgot to record TOTP but I watched the later programs live and had no issues with subtitling.

It probably won't make any difference but have you tried ordering a replacement remote control via < this page > also try using the TV Control app as a temporary remote to  see if that allows the subtitles to work? 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi newapollo

Well, try to remember to record the TOTP's this Friday coming up. We really need to run this experiment. Don't forget to record the ones that are broadcast 19:00-21:00. And yes, the later editions work fine, the subtitles come on straight away. It's always the TOTP's that are broadcast 19:00-21:00 - that's when there's this stupid recurring glitch. Honestly, these TiVo V6 boxes need upgrading or replacing with something new altogether. 

I also have problems where I am unable to permanently delete programmes I longer want. The ony way to resolve this glitch is to restart the damn box. Also, when I use the YT and Pluto TV apps it's always sluggish to toggle between different channels. Too slow, and it takes about half a second to move down or up. Just not responsive enough. Overall, yes, these TiVo V6 boxes are great for recording multiple programmes at once and lots of apps, etc, but far too many recurring glitches for my liking. Overall, a frustrating experience. I wish Virgin Media would up their game!!!!  

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@EKUMA2024 wrote:

Honestly, these TiVo V6 boxes need upgrading or replacing with something new altogether. 

Overall, yes, these TiVo V6 boxes....far too many recurring glitches for my liking.

Many people would argue there is no upgrade for the V6. And if this issue is replicable, it's a fault - not a design issue. What other "recurring glitches" do you have? These boxes are incredibly stable, be careful what you wish for by wanting something else!! You can very easily swap some small quirks for quite major bugs.

I did record the 7-9pm TOTP last week but the snooker overran so was unable to follow it up.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hiya japitts

Yeah, the snooker is a nuisance, but it's all finished now - good riddance (LOLZ). 

Don't forget to record this week's episodes of TOTP's (19:00-21:00). We need to run this experiment and find out what the heck is going on with the subtitles. Cheers, buddy! 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Mark,

I recorded three episodes of TOTP using my 360 box. It was an interesting experience.

The first one I set to record was the 19:30 TOTP on the Friday.  It was from 28th January 1996 edition with Lulu presenting. It didn't record at that time, instead it recorded the next airing which was at 01:40 am on the Saturday morning. The subtitles wouldn't come on until I paused the playback.  

The next recording was the 20:00 program from 11th May 1989 introduced by Bruno Brookes. This recorded correctly at the right time and had the subtitles appear automatically

The third recording was the 20:30 TOTP from 12th May 1983 which was introduced by Mike Read and Tommy Vance. This recorded correctly at the right time and included the subtitles.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi newapollo! 

Thank you for that amazing feedback! I recorded all SIX episodes of TOTP last Friday (19:00 - 22:00) and on all SIX the subtitles came on straight away. I had no problems at all with subtitles on that occasion. For some reason though BBC 4 are now showing 6 episodes of TOTP on Friday evenings! It used to be just 4 episodes. This I find annoying as 4 episodes was quite enough for one evening. Why do they do this?! They always go over-the-top with programmes. 

EKUMA2024
Tuning in

C'MON, VIRGIN MEDIA! THIS PROBLEM IS STILL PERSISTING!!!! I RECORDED ALL 6 EPISODES OF TOTP THIS EVENING (19:00-22:00), AND ALL 6 HAD NO SUBTITLES YET AGAIN! WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE?! NOBODY HAS GIVEN ME AN EXPLANATION ON HERE OR SUGGESTED A SOLUTION. THIS IS PITIFUL. THIS IS CAUSING ME UNNECESSARY STRESS AND REALLY, REALLY, SPOILING TOTP FOR ME. 

EKUMA2024
Tuning in

Hello, it's me again

I'm STILL having a recurring problem with my TiVo V6 box. The subtitles still won't activate on TOTP. About three weeks ago they came on, but for the last two weeks they have refused to activate. I'm getting fed up of this issue and decided to start a new thread about it and hopefully some other members on here will help me get to the bottom of this enigma. I got no real help on my previous thread. Btw, I recorded all 6 episodes of TOTP last Friday and all 6 -  NO SUBTITLES! 

Does anybody have any answers? Or, am I just gonna have to put up with this nonsense indefinitely?!

Hey EKUMA2024, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this.

Is it just TOTP, if so what year was these from?

Older episodes of these may not have subtitles as they are old broadcasts.

Do let us know. 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?