cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin TV GO website now not working on Mac Safari 13

tianorth
Joining in

Hi, first time poster, apologies for the long post in advance.

I have a Mac mini that I've been using to view VirginTVGO through the website for the last couple of years successfully.

I've been trying to find a way to resolve this but nothing seems to work.

I now get a red screen with the VirginMedia logo on but cannot get past this to the login page or the virgin TVGO whats on screens

On the same machine, I've installed Firefox, but the video is jerking (safari was mostly smooth), makes me feel sick watching it, so on same machine I can watch sort of, (https://virgintvgo.virginmedia.com/en/tv/watch-tv.html) is the website for both brewers.

No updates are available and no updates recently installed, Safari updated in 2020 when update was available (as my OS is not supported anymore I have all the latest updates).

I've cleared cache and history.

Device was registered, but since this started a few weeks ago I had no registered devices, I cannot register Safari as I cannot get to the logon screen, Firefox is registered and so is my android phone, and TVGO app works on there (had to register these to be able to view).

Been on to VirginMedia for help, they've basically said its your browser and thats all the help I got,  As said it was working 3 weeks ago, but two weeks ago only get as far as the logo.

Mac mini mid 2011       macOS High Serra, version 10.13.6.        2.5GHz i5,       16GB ram.       Safari version 13.1.2

Hope someone can help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Tianorth 👋

We do have a further update for you regarding this TVGO issue - we have just discovered there may be an issue with accessing TVGO via Safari whilst connected to a monitor. 

Is this the case in your setup?

Could you let us know which version of OS you are currently using?

If you are able to try clearing  the cache on safari and let us know if this changes anything too. 

Thanks for your patience whilst we look into this further and offer some help. 
All the best! 🌞

Molly

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi tianorth 👋 welcome to the community! Thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties with your device and browser whilst trying to watch TV Go. 

Unfortunately this issue is specific to your device. This is likely due to the operating system you are running no longer being supported, and so some software (for example flash) is out of date to support streaming video via the TV GO site. Sadly we would not be able to support with this - I appreciate this must be frustrating. 

Another member of the community may be able to offer further guidance and support but as the issue is with 3rd party software and devices rather than the TV GO site or app itself there is little further we can do to help. 

Please do get back in touch if there is anything you need help with in future and we will do our best to offer guidance and support where possible!

Wishing you al the best. 🌞

Molly

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Tianorth 👋

We do have a further update for you regarding this TVGO issue - we have just discovered there may be an issue with accessing TVGO via Safari whilst connected to a monitor. 

Is this the case in your setup?

Could you let us know which version of OS you are currently using?

If you are able to try clearing  the cache on safari and let us know if this changes anything too. 

Thanks for your patience whilst we look into this further and offer some help. 
All the best! 🌞

Molly

Hi Molly

Yes as the mac mini is just a small pc box, it is connected to a TV via HDMI cable.

As mentioned in post it was working on the weekend of the 1st October 2023, but the following weekend, 7th October 2023 and onwards it does not work.

Cleared cache etc no change.

In the original post I put the relevant mac specs

Mac mini mid 2011

macOS High Serra, version 10.13.6.

2.5GHz i5,

16GB ram.

Safari version 13.1.2

The other issue I'm having is that the alternative web browser I'm using (mozilla firefox) is stuttering/jittering and makes me feel sick watching it, is there anything that can be done to smooth out the playback?

Safari was mostly smooth, sometimes a bit blocky, but a back to guide and select programme again usually resolved it.

This doesn't work with Firefox.

Thank you for trying to get this resolved.

Many thanks

Chris

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Chris,

This may be due to hardware acceleration using Firefox.

For Firefox follow the instructions <<< here >>>  and see if that helps.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks, did try this but without restarting Firefox.

I'll give it a go at weekend.

Many thanks

Chris

Thanks for coming back to us Chris and please do let us know how it goes 👍

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

So I tried this but still getting the same jittering/stuttering even updated Firefox as update was available.

Hi @tianorth thanks for your reply, sorry to hear this.

Are you able to try another browser for example, like Google Chrome to see if it replicates the issue there?

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi, yes downloaded Opera version 102.something, as later ones didn't work.

Still have stuttering/jittering, but nowhere as bad, now and again when my eyes catch it looks like the signal just got delayed for a split second, maybe every 30ish seconds, not the every second or less with Firefox.

So the races (motorsports) were more enjoyable.

Still would like a solution for safari though!

Many thanks