cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will the BB speed increase happen

smithy01793
On our wavelength

Howdy all hope all is well. 

Anyone have any information on when BB speed increase take place from the 1gig to the 2.2gbps 

Regards Tom

7 REPLIES 7

Joseph_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @smithy01793,

Welcome back to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

We have no official rollout timeframe for this yet, but as soon as we do have information this will be made known to the public via our usual formats.

Joe

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Why you need so fast?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Client62
Legend

The ability to download 23,760 Gigabytes per day must appeal.

Wait until folks face the price of 10Gb/s network gear that will be needed to fully use the abilities of Hub 5x

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unfortunately some users don't think it through.  There are many cases when the 1Gb Tier was introduced and complaints as to why "my PC only gets XXXMb".  The understanding of physical limits should be made clearer by the ISP perhaps ? 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

IPFreely
Fibre optic

Pretty much when they decide they need to do it.

They could get it out fairly quickly but don't see a business case to right now.

It wouldn't be hugely expensive but it would carry some cost and until BT/EE packages using 1.8 Gbps are a thing, early next year right now, no point. 

Check back in December, and keep an eye on Openreach's 1.8 Gbps pilot. When that leaves pilot and an actual product is announced VM will probably respond. Pilot scheduled to end at the end of the year but it's been extended 3 times. 

There have been complaints like that since 50 Mb was released in 2009. They're par for the course.

Not sure why all the negativity? No-one needs those speeds but they're pleasant to have. Downloading Baldur's Gate 3 at the 300 MB/s Steam seems to max at is objectively better than the 30 MB/s M250 would deliver.

If providers deliver it, folks want it and are prepared to pay all power to them.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

I don't know if it's still done these days but I used to get emails at irregular intervals about free broadband speed increases. For the historians amongst you here's one from 20 January 2012 telling me about my 300% speed increase.

Hello Roger

You might have already heard that Virgin Media is upgrading its broadband speeds throughout the UK. So, we'd like to be completely clear about what this means for you.

Well, we're going to more than double your broadband download speed from up to 20Mb to up to 60Mb. It's part of an 18 month programme, starting at the end of February, where we'll be upgrading more than 4 million customers. And this includes you.

Once you get your broadband speed upgrade, you'll be able to do all the things you love doing online, faster than ever. Like sharing photos and downloading the latest apps and books. And you could even say bye-bye to buffering too, when streaming HD movies.

It's an unbeatable tickle from us

This upgrade is all part of our ongoing commitment to delivering the fastest broadband network we can to customers across the UK. It's one of many nice extras we call Virgin Media tickles, and we only give them to people we know and like – our customers. Just to make you smile.

You don't have to lift a finger.

Of course, giving you a superfast broadband network is a really big job. That's why it will happen by area, and take up to 18 months to complete. But you don't need to do a thing – we'll keep you posted and will be in touch when your upgrade is ready.

In the meantime, to find out when you'll be upgraded just click on the button below.

All the best,

Mark Davidson
Executive Director, Customer Care

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection