cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed drops to 10% of promised speed requiring constant reboots to fix

Bezzaman
Tuning in

About once a week I have to reboot my router to get the speed I pay for.

Rebooting fixes it for a around a week then it drops back to 10% again.

How can VIrginmedia fix this problem?

PS The answer isn't to keep rebooting. the router.

8 REPLIES 8

Client62
Legend

Perhaps you have a faulty network cable that is de-rating from 1000Mb/s to 100 Mb/s.
This would cause a large drop in speed & might recover for a short period after kit is restarted.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Bezzaman, 

Thanks for taking the time to post about your issues in the Community.

We're sorry to hear you're having an issue with your speeds dropping every so often. 

Checking things this end, I can see that the signal and power levels are all optimal, there are no faults in your area either. All is as it should be. 

Do you find this happening on all devices or are you noticing it on one device?

Has the advice from Clent62 helped at all?

Pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Bezzaman
Tuning in

No network cable involved as it is using wifi.

Happening on all devices.

This is a list of errors from the router network log which goes back to 11th May:

18/05/2023 19:03:8 - Warning! - RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

17/05/2023 10:57:34 - critical - No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

15/05/2023 14:27:12 - critical - No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

14/05/2023 22:44:2 - critical - No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

12/05/2023 17:48:45 - critical - No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

12/05/2023 10:23:11 - Warning! - RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

11/05/2023 18:35:18 - critical - No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

There are various DCHP errors which I have excluded as I assume they are not relevant to the issue.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Bezzaman,

Thanks for coming back to us about this ongoing issue! I've checked our systems again and I cannot see any issues. 

Can you tell us what speeds you're receiving on a wired connection so that we can look into this further?

Have you taken a look at our Speed Up page to see if this can help? 

Is it just your speed that drops, or do you experience connection drops as well?

Please let us know so that we can help further.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Bezzaman
Tuning in

Are the above messages "RCS Partial Service" and "No Ranging Response" an issue?

When the problem recurs I will check the wired connection speed and let you know.

I am using imUp to monitor the connection.

Bezzaman
Tuning in

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

15370000441512064 qam10
23940000041512064 qam12
34619999141512064 qam11
46029999641512064 qam9

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts

1ATDMA0010
2ATDMA0010
3ATDMA0000
4ATDMA0010

Bezzaman
Tuning in

Above is Upstream data from the Hub

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Bezzaman, thank you for all the posts and updates about this matter.

Regarding your service received, upon our latest checks there don't seem to be any issues currently.
Neither does our local network, things are pretty clear on this end. 🙂

I've also run some background tests for the wireless network and it all looks good at the minute, devices look happy with signal and speeds.

Are you able to update us on whether you've had further connection or speed issues since Monday?

Let us know where you are with this and we're here to assist further where needed.

Adri
Forum Team