cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple devices can’t download at the same time

BabyJam
Joining in

Hi community 

I’m a new customer to virgin on the 1Gb plan, we noticed last night that if 2 Xbox try to download at the same time over Wi-Fi then the first gets around 180mb download and the second only gets around 4mb. This also impacted us playing on a third Xbox causing lag during online gaming.  Speaking with the engineer who installed the broadband he said we would have no issues with everything over Wi-Fi, do I need to look at running some network cable or should the Wi-Fi be able to handle 3 xbox

7 REPLIES 7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are serious about gaming then WiFi is not the way to go. Run an Ethernet cable for you devices and get a cheap 5 port Ethernet switch. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes, you need to get wired up if you want good gaming performance. 

I also wonder whether that remote games server is equipped to send three parallel streams at full speed to the same address. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello BabyJam.

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community.

It looks like the previous replies have answered what we would have advised.

It would be best to look at setting up a wired connection for your consoles.

How are the speeds in general? any drops in connection?

Gareth_L

BabyJam
Joining in

Thanks all, it was as expected.

With regards to the speeds in general, if there are no updates to games etc we are all fine to play, watch but as soon as one console updates a game everything else is impacted even though the console dl speed is around 150mb which is a problem

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Its because wifi is variable some AP/routers are better at dealing with that then others.

Really the only way is to have many AP's per device which is not a good idea then you might run into bufferbloat which another way is to be on a low speed to QoS/BWM for better shared bandwidth.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi BabyJam,

Thank you for reaching back out and for the update, as advised where possible a wired connection is always best when it comes to gaming,  Download speed can depend on a variety of factors; it can depend on your package, what devices you have and how many, how those devices are connected, and many other things,  we have a download speed guarantee, and this will show the minimum speed that we would expect for all our packages. You can take a look at that here.

Regards

Paul.