cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random mix of devices don't connect to internet wired or wireless

Jmwhooper
Joining in

A month or 2 ago I started to see some of my devices lose internet connection, sometimes just for an hour, sometimes a few hours. It's been happening 2 or 3 times per week. The latest occurrence was on Wed this week, about 5pm and it's still happening now.

My set up is Hub 5 in modem mode with TP-link Deco mesh wifi x 3. I've tried the hub back in router mode and turned off the Deco's to eliminate that as the issue, still no luck. 

Here are some of the devices being impacted:

• I have several Amazon Alexa's, the Shows (with screens) have lost internet but are connected to the wifi, the dots are all working, the echo which is right next to the VM Hub is not working
  • My Samsung Smartthings hub is wired but has no internet
  • My LightwaveRF plus hub is wired but has no internet
  • My son's PC is wired and he has internet connection, but he can't get into the lobby on certain games he plays
  • On my mobile phone I have a wireless connection and can access most sites, but some sites are not accessible via Chrome
  • I work from home and some of my work apps are not accessible but others are
  • On my Roku stick some apps I can watch TV (iPlayer, NowTV) but others don't work (Netflix, Disney+ gives me a message about suspicious activity from my account!)

I've been on support with Virgin several times but just go around the same usual troubleshooting all of which I've done multiple times (reboot, reset etc). They haven't been able to fix it yet.

The service status for my area shows no issues, running a check on my home kit shows no issues. I have disabled the child safe and virus safe options on my account.

I'm at a loss what to do next. Yesterday for work I had to tether to my mobile all day as I couldn't use my broadband. 

Is there some tech support I can escalate to above the "please can you reset the hub" script level of support? VM tried to direct me to Gadget Rescue, but it's not a device issue, it's a BB service issue. 

Is it possible for certain services / devices to be blocked by VM or by the providers, but other services to work as normal?

8 REPLIES 8

Jmwhooper
Joining in

UPDATE: I've set the hub back to modem mode and my Deco's are in router mode, everything seems to be working again at the moment, it's been about 45 mins since the change. I'll see how long it lasts.

UPDATE 2: Approx 1 hour after setting the hub to modem mode and everything working again, it's gone, the random selection of devices have lost connection again! So that didn't work for long.

Hi @Jmwhooper 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

Sorry to hear of any issues with the broadband. 

I can see from checking the system, you've since spoke to the team and booked a engineer visit.

Please let us know how this visit goes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

The engineer came, did some tests, unplugged some old TV connections to reduce noise on the line, factory reset the router. It worked for about 30 mins after they left then went back to the intermittent access as before. Tried to get an engineer booked again to come back ASAP, was told they would come back in the evening but they didn't show. Called to check and was asked to go through the same diagnostics I've been doing every time I call so I said no and asked to be pit through to cancellations, was on hold for ages waiting and didn't get through to that dept, so really not happy the.issue isn't resolved.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You really are better off using the Mesh as your Router.  This will allow you to use a decent DNS provide for a start. Post the power levels etc from the Hub and setup a BQM to monitor your incoming circuit.  www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

To really test your line your mesh could be the problem connect a wire PC to the hub in modem mode then test if stable with a ping -t 194.168.4.100

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi @Jmwhooper 

Thanks for coming back to the thread. I can see since the post, we've had a monitor on your connection for 24 hours and it's not reported any faults. 

Did you also follow the advice given about testing your own equipment? 

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Jmwhooper
Joining in

I'm using my mesh router and the Hub 5 is in modem mode, it's the only way it will work. Using the Hub 5 as the router resulted in the intermittent connection issues again. So far it's been ok.