cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VirginMedia replace street cable

Mattydaniels
Tuning in

vv.jpgvvv.jpgvvvv.jpg

Virgin showed up yesterday (04/05/23) to swap out the street cable they said was most likely causing issues with my service and this is the mess they leave me with... Now not only have they caused the broadband to reduce in speed by half they've also completely cut off my landline (I'm guessing that is the orange and white wire they've left out cut in half). This is getting beyond a joke now, I've been a customer for 15 years and this is how I'm dealt with 😠

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mattydaniels wrote:

I don't quite understand what you mean? The phone line has always come in next to the coaxial cable that they were changing out due to broadband issues and tv channels dropping out. Now as you can see on the photo the omnibox has been left in a state with the front hanging off and wires exposed. Landline still not working but broadband has returned to normal.

The new coax they have installed does not have a phone line bonded to it. Its just coax. The separate phone lines are being phased out, hence when they connected the new coax your old twisted pair phone line will also be cut at the cabinet.

Virgin are moving everyone to digital only hub based lines, so you will need an adapter to plug your phone into your hub.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/fibre-phone-faqs 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A lot of the lines being put in now are coax only ie. no phone cable. You will need your line to be provisioned from the hub.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I don't quite understand what you mean? The phone line has always come in next to the coaxial cable that they were changing out due to broadband issues and tv channels dropping out. Now as you can see on the photo the omnibox has been left in a state with the front hanging off and wires exposed. Landline still not working but broadband has returned to normal.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mattydaniels wrote:

The new coax they have installed does not have a phone line bonded to it. Its just coax. The separate phone lines are being phased out, hence when they connected the new coax your old twisted pair phone line will also be cut at the cabinet.

Virgin are moving everyone to digital only hub based lines, so you will need an adapter to plug your phone into your hub.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/fibre-phone-faqs 

Ah right, thanks for letting me know. Would of been helpful if Virgin had of told me that getting my cable replaced would kill my landline, I never would of had it done 😑

How do I go about getting an adapter for my hub and the damage to the omnibox sorted?

Thanks.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Either call customer services or wait here for the forum team to respond. They can arrange the necessary alterations & an adapter. If you do not have a hub version 3 or above it will also need replacement.

Hey Mattydaniels,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your landline and the state that your cabling has been left in. 

I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

Alby41
Up to speed

Can I say I have only ONE virgin media cable coming into my property that runs internet / landline telephone ..I cannot see another cable for the phone .. my landline phone inserts into the inside wall box and that is it .. been like that for years .. it was tricky to set up by someone and I was cut off for days .. now perfect .. I am not touching it .. no back of the router tricky stuff for me .. great signal must be an exception   ...😉

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

What you have is a shotgun cable comprising coaxial bonded to phone wires coming into the premise. These are separated, the phone wires are connected to a phone socket and the coaxial is used for broadband and/or TV. VM will migrate all landline users to a phone service via the hub by the end of 2025.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection