cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM white plug made clicking noise/green light flashing

Dazyellow3
On our wavelength

Wh

The white plug that power the white box on the wall is playing up. If I take is out when I am cleaning and then put it back in again It now started making a clicking noise and the green light flashes. So I have to plug it in the other plug socket and it then works

How do I get new one. As I work from home and need the internet.

White plug and powered splitterWhite plug and powered splitter

14 REPLIES 14

goslow
Alessandro Volta

From past topics, I believe you need a tech visit as the plug-top power supply is not a part that can be sent out. I think the flashing indicates a pending problem.

Personally, I would not be plugging/unplugging that equipment as it is meant to be always-on.

One of the VM forum team will reply here within a few days.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Are you sure it's not the wall socket that's at fault?  Have you tried other devices in that socket? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I assume the socket is okay, as it's used when cleaning.  Sounds like that single socket needs to be replaced by a double.  As @goslow  said, these power units are designed to be on all the time.  It's not good to be powering your broadband circuit up and down constantly.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The OP said the PSU is OK in another socket. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jpeg1 wrote:

The OP said the PSU is OK in another socket. 

Oops !  Missed that one .....   🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Similar clicking/ticking description mentioned here for a similar-looking setup.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VirginMedia/comments/wz8tky/cable_box_on_the_wall_repeatedly_turns_off_and_...

@Dazyellow3 Is it the plug-top power supply that is making the ticking sound or the white plastic box on the wall?

Is you connection dropping when the light is flashing and you hear the ticking sound?

Does the light flash/ticking sound begin only when you unplug it for cleaning or is it a permanent feature?

Does the flashing light /ticking sound always happen with the power supply always plugged in one wall socket and never in the other power socket?

More info needed but I would guess that the amplifier and/or power supply is possibly on its way out and the act of switching between sockets restarts it and temporarily clears the issue.

Dazyellow3
On our wavelength

Is you connection dropping when the light is flashing and you hear the ticking sound? No is the answer. My broadband and TV are fine 

The light flash/ticking sound begin only when I plug in the white plug and the green light on the white plug and the white box on the wall start to flash about 5 times before stopping. Then the green light stays on.

Like what @goslow mentioned above the amplifier and/or power supply is possibly on its way out as I had the white plug and white box on the wall for about 5 years. I had it installed when I used to have 2 V6 boxes. I now only got the one 360 box. Hope this makes sense.

How do I get a technician out to replace either the white plug or the white box on the wall? As I mentioned in my first post. I work from home and need internet.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You can call Customer Service and report a fault.  But if the technician can't find a fault they will charge you £25.

- jpeg1