cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing hub 5 in modem mode

littlebrooklyn
Up to speed

I changed my package this week as my current contract is due to run out.  I was offered a Hub 5 with the 1 gig internet speed and I'm sure the woman I spoke to said an engineer would be coming to swap the hubs over.  I was surprised however that it was just delivered and I had to swap it over myself.  I followed the directions, put the IP into my browser and logged into the Hub 5, changed the password, put it go into modem mode and duly waited for it to do it's stuff.  Nothing happened.  I have phoned VM to try and get some help as I prefer to run the Hub in modem mode but couldn't get an answer to the issue, something to do with they couldn't access my account.  I have now swapped the Hubs back and all my stuff is working as before, but obviously I can't get the 1 gig speed with the Hub 3. 

Is it possible to run the Hub 5 in modem mode?  I am using a T Link Archer C2300 Router which claims to be able to run 1 gig, but I am lost as to what I have done wrong.  Could really do with some help.

Thanks

Lyn

9 REPLIES 9

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the Hub 3 is still working, your Hub 5 is not provisioned on your account yet. Try the equipment activation number they may be able to help. It's 0800 953 9500 and you will need the Hub serial number/MAC address from the barcode sticker, and your account number.

As for modem mode, absolutely.  It's what I'm using at the moment, and all I've ever used with any of the VM Hubs.  The only one that doesn't work at the moment is the Hub 5X. It's the latest XGS-PON fibre one.

For modem mode, best to setup everything with a cabled connection btw.

1 - Put Hub in modem mode and switch off.

2 - Connect a Cat 6 cable between the Hub 5 2.5Gb port and your Archer.  Setup the Archer in DHCP mode and leave it switched on.

3 - Switch on the Hub 5, and after 10 mins or so, the Archer should have a WAN IP.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sordar
Joining in

When I set up mine recently, the engineer said that only port number 1 would work with the hub in modem mode. This is incorrect - any port will work but it’s the one that first detects a signal and then becomes ‘locked’. Follow Adduxi instructions precisely and make sure only port 4 is plugged in to your router with none of the other 3 connected to anything at all when you turn the hub 5 back on and then wait …… it took over 5 mins for mine to register but I now have great 1Gig connection 🙂

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In the “olden days” only a certain port would work I believe. Thankfully any port now works. However it’s best to use the Hub 5 2.5Gb port. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

I do think that VM to make life easy on them that router mode is more then what it seems...may even explain the DHCP problem I see....so let me see if I can reverse engineer what VM have done...the hub has a 10. IP it gets to which given DHCP options is in the request say to the give me a 10. IP and not a WAN IP which there is no authentication but two DHCP requests one with one without option 61 and the magic cookie for the DHCP server to know to give out 10. IP when the hub uses a given option its low speed then in router mode the hub gets a WAN IP then the hub talks to some server to configure the hub on the network with high speed to which the hubs 10. IP changes the DHCP request to pull your speed config and you hub MAC for 10. is allowed then you can change to modem mode....or maybe I looking into this too much.

---------------------------------------------------------------

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Lyn

Looking through today's posts it appears that VM activations aren't currently working so it's great that your hub3 is still working.

If/when the hub 3 stops working it should be a signal that it's been deactivated and that your hub 5 will have now received the activation code and should be able to work.

As per previous posts on this thread, you can use any port for modem mode, however I suggest using port 4 as that that port is . 2.5Gig port (the other three are 1Gig ports) so you'll get the full 1gig1 output to your modem.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Just a suggestion from reading your first post. It's best to leave the Hub in router mode when trying to activate it, and then change it to modem mode when you know it's working properly. You'll find better support from VM if there's a problem. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

littlebrooklyn
Up to speed

Thanks very much for all the replies, really not a very tech savvy person so it's been quite a challenge.  Finally got sorted and the Hub 5 is up and running.  Once I could see it was working okay I swapped over to modem mode.  Don't think I am using Port 4 for the router though, pretty sure I tried it and then had no internet at all.  There should be a dummies guide to installing hubs for people like me!

Lyn

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Port 4 from memory is the 2.5Gb one, and only of real use if you have a matching 2.5 or 10Gb switch, or NIC in your PC.   However, it is working fine on mine in modem mode.

Hey littlebrooklyn, thank you for reaching out and letting us know this.

Please do feel free to reach out anytime you need may need some advice or help we would be happy to help. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?