cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi router light permanently on red.

stevearowe
Joining in

Hi,

My Virgin wifi router permanently displays red rather than white/yellow. Router is working and and devices are connecting.

Have tried switch off/on and manual/online reset etc no change.

Understand that there were issues generally in my area (12) which may/may not have anything to do with the problem.

Understand from earlier posts that this means that the router might be on its way out and possibly need to request a replacement?

Cheers

Steve R

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Assuming it's a Hub 3?  If the red LED persists after a pinhole reset, the Hub should be swapped out. This red LED is the overheat warning and should be working correctly. If you wait here a couple of days a VM Mod should pick this up and discuss directly with you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Assuming it's a Hub 3?  If the red LED persists after a pinhole reset, the Hub should be swapped out. This red LED is the overheat warning and should be working correctly. If you wait here a couple of days a VM Mod should pick this up and discuss directly with you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Steve

Thanks for your post, welcome back to the Community Forums.

We're sorry to hear you have a red light on your Hub - looks like you have a Hub 3, so this could be an indication that it is over heating, but don't worry.

Were you able to follow the advice kindly provided by Adduxi above? If your Hub has been factory reset, rebooted and is in a clear and open space and the red is still red, let us know and we will go from there.

Thanks,

Beth

stevearowe
Joining in

Hi Beth,

I can confirm that the hub has been factory reset, rebooted and is in a clear and open space and the light is still red.

Steve R

Hi Steve

Thanks for letting me know. I'll pop you over a PM now so I can take your account details and book in an engineer visit with you.

Beth

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Steve.

Thanks for getting back to me with your details via PM.

I've gone ahead and booked in an engineer appointment for you.

There’ll be no charge for this visit unless:

The technician finds that the issue isn’t due to our network or equipment, for example if it relates to equipment or other systems not provided by us, or it’s been damaged.

You miss the appointment for any reason, or someone over 18 isn’t in at the time of the appointment.

Otherwise, the appointment would be free of charge.

The technician will confirm if a charge is applicable and a £25 Appointment Charge or a £25 Missed Appointment Charge may be applied to your account.

If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can reply to the SMS you’ll receive, or you can manage this through the My Virgin Media App up to 4pm the day before the appointment.

Let us know how the visit goes and if you need anything else 😊

Beth

Chazy
Joining in

I've got the same issue, permanent red light on router, stopped working last week, but rebooted it and is working but still red light.

Internet is scrappy, buffering and when I'm on facetime with daughters it freezes and speeds up.  So frustrating. Having to put phones on mobile data instead .

Help appreciated. Customer for over 25years.

Hey Chazy, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am sorry to hear this.

I am going to send you a PM but please try these steps for me;

• Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub.

• Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location, and, if at all possible, out of direct sunlight.

• Then use the power switch to turn the unit back on. The Hub should now operate normally.

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?