cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T-pLink router connected to Hub 3

Wayne68
Joining in

Hi, I have around 280mbps from my Hub 3 but from the tp-link upstairs but I’m only getting 30mbps, any ideas 

thanks 

9 REPLIES 9

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

What model is the TP-Link? 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

TL-WR841N  It says 300Mbs on it

Hi @Wayne68 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Is the hub in Modem Mode or is this a booster you've purchased?

Could you also download the Connect App for me and then run some wireless scans in your property? This will make sure you're receiving good speeds and help you if not. Let me know 🙂 

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Not sure what you mean by in modem mode, I have a virgin hub3 in living room and upstairs I have a       Tp-Link Wi-Fi router connected to my virgin hub with a Ethernet cable, I’ve done a test with the app and it’s showing download 274Mbps from hub  it only 17Mbps from the tp-link

Client62
Legend

TL-WR841N is an 802.11n/b/g 2.4 GHz  WI-Fi Router / Access Point. Hopefully configured in Access Point mode.

300Mb/s is marketing speak as on 2.4Ghz, 802.11n connects at 150Mb/s max in each direction and Wi-Fi is half duplex. Many mobile phone connect at 2.4Ghz but often at a max link rate of 72Mb/s so expect real world speed tests to be up to 50Mb/s.

Still 17 does seam low.  Is the TL-WR841N using Access Point mode ?

If it was in Router Mode that would create double NAT situation and an extra firewall which are not needed.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

And it only has 10/100 Ethernet ports….

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As adduxi says - that is a very old model limits to sub-100 speeds - time to upgrade

look at this as a starter router and access point...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B07L5YRYF4/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

How would I find out what mode it’s in?

Client62
Legend

Check the manual for your version of TL-WR841N ; https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/tl-wr841n/

Connect to it using a web browser and review the configuration.