cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation requiring a new 'faceplate'

kella3
Joining in

I'm going to be moving to a new flat on Tuesday and went with the Gig1 broadband package. When I called to actually get the package and confirm the start date and such things, I was guaranteed that I could just get a quickstart self-install kit, which is great. Then I got an email saying it was delayed. Turns out that the person I spoke to was wrong, and the installation team need to install a new 'faceplate' to be able to get the full service. I am renting a 3rd-floor flat, does anyone actually know what requiring a new faceplate actually means? The installation person on the phone kept saying an engineer will need to come and check to see where it is. There is already something installed for broadband but not fiber, so any advice would be great because if this requires internal wiring I am fairly certain I won't be allowed to install it. Thanks for your help.

7 REPLIES 7

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @kella3, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear that a Quickstart installation isn't available to you, as originally planned.

We would advise that to have this converted to a manned installation, you would need to call our team on 0800 052 1734 to have this booked in.

In regards to your set up, it would be handy if you're able to share any pictures of the cabling you have from the flat you're due to move into, so we can take a closer look.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are in a block of flats these will be internally wired & it’s likely this wiring is a shared resource. The cabling for satellite TV connections may have to be repurposed for Virgin services via the building’s services cupboard, hence requiring a technician visit.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

This might be what will be installed.

Satellite-terrestrial module.jpg

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello kella3.

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear about the mix up during your installation.

Would you like me to take a look at the account?

If so? I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check your logo at the  top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Ishaq10
Joining in

I am having an issue with Virgin and has been a nightmare going back and forth with Virgin and Sky who is my current provider. Sales team at Virgin said everything is easy, but now it looks like it is not easy and Virgin have missed two sets of dates for take over with Sky without any notification to myself as I want to keep my number.

Anyhow today I had a 3rd party engineer who installed the faceplate as we are repurposing the Sat cables for Virgin use, however his ladder was not long enough to get to the cabinet so left. Tried to call Virgin to rebook but they dont understand a thing and keep disconnecting.

Looks like, I will have to stay with Sky - Virgin please can you sort this out as it is embarrsing and I have waster a month. Thank you

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Only VM will want to do cabling, and it will be their own and not Sky's. Let's hope you hear from VM again.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi @Ishaq10,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear you're having some installation related trouble. It looks like one of my colleagues has already responded to another thread that you've created about this. We'll continue to assist you with this from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!