cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9yrs later I'm still chased by debt collectors for early termination bill when VM couldn't supply

lobat
Tuning in

KMM116247153I15977L0KM - I think that was my account.   Back in June 2014, I moved home to a location where VM was unable to provide service.  I was sent a final bill which included an Early Disconnection Fee.  I wanted to remain with VM, but THEY could not supply.  So, I refused to pay this fee.    Over the years, I have been chased by debt collectors for the money, but I explain the situation and they go away until a new collector takes up the case.  I'm moving again and BT cannot supply the new address - it's in th eKCOM area and no other suppliers can provide a service. Despite having 22 months left on my contract with BT, they instantly waived the termination fees for me.   VM still shows on my credit file and a couple of months ago, another debt collector wrote to me.   I understand that VM no longer charges the Early Disconnection Fee in circumstances such as mine.  So how do I get them to clear the bill and my credit file?   I have emailed VM twice this month about it and have not heard back.    Ideas please, or maybe someone at VM will read this an reach out.   Thanks in advance,

5 REPLIES 5

Cardiffman282
Super solver

For most debts, if you’re liable your creditor has to take action against you within a certain time limit. Taking action means they send you court papers telling you they’re going to take you to court.

The time limit is sometimes called the limitation period. 

For most debts, the time limit is 6 years since you last wrote to them or made a payment.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/help-with-debt/dealing-with-your-debts/check-if-you...

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi lobat,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

We wouldn't be able to waive disconnection fees from 2014.

At that time, these were chargeable and correct inline with the contract taken. 

We did recently change this policy, however we cant back date this to contracts taken before that change came into affect.

I am sorry, I appreciate this wont be the answer you were hoping for however I trust it clarifies our position. 

If you have any further questions, please pop back to us here and we will do all we can to help. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

lobat
Tuning in

Thank you Vikki. A shame that VM still seems to operate in an hard headed way.  Mind youCardiffman is quite correct and there would be no redress to court to pursue the debt any longer. As I wrote to the customer service team at the time, I will never pay the bill and would welcome the media attention I'd bring to the court case if it had have been actioned.    No VM ever for me, friends, family, colleagues, listeners etc.....

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So no VM for you despite the fact YOU failed to meet your contractual requirements to pay the correctly billed early termination fee.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Cardiffman282
Super solver

It's probably an opportune moment to remind the forum that Virgin Media was fined seven million pounds (£7,000,000) not that long ago in connection to early disconnection fees.

Ofcom found that Virgin contravened General Conditions (‘GCs’) 9.2 and 9.3 by:

failing to publish up-to-date and clear information about the charges customers would have to pay if they ended their contract early (early termination charges or ‘ETCs’); and

by incorrectly setting its ETCs so they were too high and overcharging thousands of customers as a result.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/bulletins/enforcement-bulletin/all-closed-cases/cw_01198

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).