cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

146 days and Counting.

TellmeWhy-
Joining in

So I've been waiting 146 days for my broadband to be installed. Every time my installation date comes to roll around it gets pushed back a month or two.

I simply want solid advice to cancel my still pending contract and claim the 146 days of compensation I am owed for wasted time.

I have handed in a complaint requesting such and to cancel the contract but we all know where that'll end up. So if anyones got any advice how to proceed claiming the large compensation I'm owed and cancelling the contract please let me know

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The issues you raised are mentioned on a near-daily basis on here. My personal opinion on some of the reasons why it happens (having read a lot of these topics) is below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Delayed-Installation/m-p/5405304#M236713

You will receive no answers from VM that you can rely upon to actually happen. While you wait, the compensation will keep clocking up

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

You, or VM, can cancel the installation. If you cancel, you are due compensation up to the point you cancel. If VM cancels then they have to give you a notice they are no longer paying compensation and have to pay a further 30 days beyond that notice.

If you wait until installation/activation is complete then VM has to credit your account within 30 days of activation.

The topics on here regularly describe VM trying to dodge paying the full compensation due or avoid paying at all with a range of dubious excuses. Often the customer has to go to arbitration to get paid the correct amount. Read this similar topic which has some links to some compensation success stories

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Do-Pre-Pull-days-count-towards-Delayed-In...

Complaints to the ombudsman cannot, however, compel VM to install for you

Do you have a working broadband connection at the moment with another supplier?

If not, the usual advice on here is to put in place a temporary connection of some kind on a rolling monthly basis until VM connects you.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The issues you raised are mentioned on a near-daily basis on here. My personal opinion on some of the reasons why it happens (having read a lot of these topics) is below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Delayed-Installation/m-p/5405304#M236713

You will receive no answers from VM that you can rely upon to actually happen. While you wait, the compensation will keep clocking up

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

You, or VM, can cancel the installation. If you cancel, you are due compensation up to the point you cancel. If VM cancels then they have to give you a notice they are no longer paying compensation and have to pay a further 30 days beyond that notice.

If you wait until installation/activation is complete then VM has to credit your account within 30 days of activation.

The topics on here regularly describe VM trying to dodge paying the full compensation due or avoid paying at all with a range of dubious excuses. Often the customer has to go to arbitration to get paid the correct amount. Read this similar topic which has some links to some compensation success stories

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Do-Pre-Pull-days-count-towards-Delayed-In...

Complaints to the ombudsman cannot, however, compel VM to install for you

Do you have a working broadband connection at the moment with another supplier?

If not, the usual advice on here is to put in place a temporary connection of some kind on a rolling monthly basis until VM connects you.

I have currently taken a contract out with Sky whom I think I'll be sticking with as I plan to cancel this time wasting contract with Virgin Media. Its annoying that they do not seem to care as well as my wasted money on having to purchase a mobile hotspot throughout the 5 months

Various suggestions have been put forward on here in the past as to how to proceed when you have got to such a long delay.

One POV was to get another connection working and wait for VM to install while racking up the compensation. Once VM has installed, cancel within the 14 day cooling off period and collect the compensation. Use the (now working) VM connection in the future if you ever wanted to try VM again.

Alternatively, cut your losses at 146 days, claim the compensation and use that towards your current broadband costs.

Or wait and see if VM itself cancels the installation (surprisingly common, reports on here detail VM causing a very long delay and even going as far as nearly finishing the cable installation only to give up at the end and cancel the installation).

With any of the above it is likely that VM will not offer the full compensation due and the case will need to go to arbitration following a formal complaint to VM first of all.

Having a very detailed timeline of evidence (dates, times, calls, messages, emails, no-show appointments, failed appointments where nothing is achieved etc.) will help with any arbitration claim.

Which one to choose above depends on how much further your patience can last and whether you are willing to go to arbitration. The general feedback from similar topics on here is that customers get a fair hearing at arbitration and the adjudicator will soon see through any of the dodges VM tries to use to avoid paying if they do not comply fully with the terms of the auto-comp scheme. You may eventually get a just outcome via arbitration but it is likely to require further time/effort/prep/evidence to get it.

Hi @TellmeWhy- 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

Sorry to hear of any install delay. 

I have done a system check and your complaint case is assigned to the relevant team.

If you do wish to cancel, you'd need to call the Pre-Install team on 0800 052 1734.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill