cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding additional phones to my Hub

YvonneB13
Joining in

Hi

I had an engineer plug my phone line into the hub which is downstairs, but now I cannot use the other 3 phones in my house one of which is in my office upstairs and another in the bedroom and one in the hall downstairs.  The engineer said he could not connect anymore.  What do I do?  I need to use my other phones.  Please help!  many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Be aware that while the older copper pair landlines had a maximum REN (Ring Equivalence Number) of 4, meaning you could connect 4 phones to a circuit, the maximum on a hub based line is 3. If you exceed the REN capacity of the line there is a possibility the phones will not ring when a call comes in.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@YvonneB13 wrote:

Hi

I had an engineer plug my phone line into the hub which is downstairs, but now I cannot use the other 3 phones in my house one of which is in my office upstairs and another in the bedroom and one in the hall downstairs.  The engineer said he could not connect anymore.  What do I do?  I need to use my other phones.  Please help!  many thanks.

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here, when they reply to this topic) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Arissa_H
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi YvonneB13.
Thanks for posting and welcoming you with big virtual arms to the community 😊.
I am sorry for the confusion over the phone line after migration and as Goslow has said (thank you as always), we can send an engineer visit to do a modification of the wiring. 
I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

Please watch out for the purple envelop. 

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Arissa_H
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi YvonneB13.

Thank you for private messaging me.

Glad to see the issue has now been resolved.

If you do need us in the future, remember we are one post away.

Thank you.

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Be aware that while the older copper pair landlines had a maximum REN (Ring Equivalence Number) of 4, meaning you could connect 4 phones to a circuit, the maximum on a hub based line is 3. If you exceed the REN capacity of the line there is a possibility the phones will not ring when a call comes in.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi

Thanks for your clarification.  I have 4 phones but I am able to lose 1 which I don't use very much so I will be able to make do with 3.

Thank you again.

Kind regards

Yvonne

I had the same problem.

The landline had 4 phones (3 extensions)

Now, after switchover, I have the same set-up.

I asked the engineer if I could have 4 phones connected to the hub and he said "yes."

I believed him and bought two to add to the existing two (on a base of their own) but they failed to rgister. I swapped them for a new 4-set  of phones and they all are working ok. I'm now looking to dispose of the old two and the two wired ones.

I've only  been set up for a week now, and tested all of it by talking to myself, via my mobile. Runnning from room to room, calling the phone and answering myself. Tried the ansafone too. Everything works, and I've been receiving calls. And, oh yes, they all ring at  once when called, so it doesn't matter which part of the house I'm in. 

Now, before I get too complacent about this, have I just been lucky, or have I done the wrong thing?

Cheers

Cliff

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @EddyFiss,

Thank you for your post and I am sorry you had some issues with this. It does sound like all is working fine. If you do have any issues please pop back and we can check this for you.

Thanks,

Zoie

Hello

Yes, everything is now working fine, thanks to the brilliant engineer that I had yesterday.  However, I am far from satisfied with the service I received from Virgin Media after being a loyal customer for over 26 years.

I now fully intend the escalate my original complaint.

Being told by the person who came on 24th March that my other phones except my landline cannot be connected.  He said that if I was not happy with the other phones not working I should just call Virgin Media and tell them I wanted to stay with the original system and it would be OK.  Finding the following day that NONE OF MY PHONES WORKED! 

Calling Virgin Media Sunday 26th March and being on hold for 1 hour and 3 minutes being put through to different people until one person told me to plug the connection into my hub, which the person who came on Friday left hanging loose and not connected to the Hub.  I did this and my landline downstairs worked but my office phone and bedroom phone did not work. They booked an engineer for Thursday 6th April and he came and did some intricate wiring and now all my phone worked.  The other alternative was to buy cordless phones, which I would have done.  Now all is working OK.  I told the person I spoke to on Sunday that I was disabled and it was difficult to keep going downstairs to answer my landline if I was upstairs.  I also mentioned that being disabled I should be registered as a priority customer.  They said yes, that was possible and that someone would call me and go through the process.  NO ONE DID! I spoke to someone on 23rd March asking to have the account transferred from my husband's name to mine as I deal with all these matters, she came back to me after a few minutes and told it had been done and the account was now in my name. NOT TRUE and I later find out that Virgin Media don't transfers of ownership.

After all the stress and aggravation I have had from Virgin Media and think the least you can do is offer some compensation.  Your staff are obviously not giving out correct information and misleading customers.

I await to hear from you when you have fully thought through all the complaints I have made.  As I said, we have been customers for over 26 years and always had good service.   This, however had just been one big disaster.  It seems your staff need better training and not keep giving out wrong and misleading information to customers.  Paying nearly £1,400 and year we really expect better.

Thank you.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @YvonneB13,

I am so sorry to hear this. I will take a look into this for you now.I will pop you over a PM, please keep an eye out or the little envelope 📩

Thanks,

Zoie