cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer send email - Error 554 - 554 5.2.0 SMTP602 Message contains Spam Content

amsb
Tuning in

I can no longer send email from my Virgin email account, either through Apple Mail or on webmail. I get the error message 

(554 - 554 5.2.0 SMTP602 Message contains Spam Content;id=MOOngovuwRdI9MOOnqiZ13;sid=MOOnqovuwRdord-ni1-vmo:d=20230720:=092345(CET]:ipsrc=100.107.83.2

This first occurred when I tried to email someone in Renfrewshire council. Text only email. I then sent further 'test' emails to myself with no attachments and plain text - same problem. This prevents me sending email from any of my accounts through Apple Mail as all outgoing mail servers are 'Offline'. I can receive email.

I turned my router off and on again but have not reset any passwords.

I looked at other similar issues on the forum and followed the link to see if my IP was on a blacklist on mxtoolbox.com. This came up saying I was on a blacklist for 

SORBS DUHL

Spamhaus ZEN

I have no idea what this means or how I can fix it. Can anyone help?

14 REPLIES 14

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is unlikely the issue is due to a block on your IP Address.

In webmail does the issue persist when sending a message with no text in its body or a signature?

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

amsb
Tuning in

No - it sends fine without a signature.

My signature has html links to my email and website.  Tried with the signature and it still has same problem.

But my signature is not new ....

Hi amsb, thanks for the message, 

I am sorry to hear that you are unable to use the mail service and more information is available here

You mention that you were on a blacklist and would recommend checking the link here  for removal. 

Chris 

amsb
Tuning in

Those are the settings I've been using for years. 

I'm not using an App, as this is on a desktop computer, Apple OS 12.6.7 Monterey using Apple Mail Vers 16.0. As I say, I've been using for years with no issues, and made no changes. But now I am getting this spam message - which seems to disappear from the webmail when I remove the  html from my signature. BUT not in Apple Mail, where all my Servers have gone 'Offline'.

Every time I click send in Apple Mail, I get a box stating "Cannot send message using the server [my virgin email address] The attempt to read data from the server “smtp.virginmedia.com” failed. Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent."

When I click Connection doctor it tells me it can't connect to this SMTP server. I have checked all the details from your link above and the data is the same, including SSL for POP3 and SMTP.

I don't know what has happened to prompt this issue, as I changed no settings.

best wishes

Ailsa

I still don't know who to contact about the blacklist as I don't know what a blacklist agency is.

Dear Chris - just wondering, is this 'app password' thing new? I'm using the same password that I log into the Virgin website, and webmail. I've not been told I need another new password.

best wishes

Ailsa

Hi amsb, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

The password on the online account would use the same as the app. 

Are you having viewing the emails via the online account? Would you be able to confirm what error message you are getting?

Kind regards, Chris. 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@amsb wrote:

No - it sends fine without a signature.

My signature has html links to my email and website.  Tried with the signature and it still has same problem.

But my signature is not new ....

The data patterns spam filters use to identify spam are continuously changing and consequently false positives can occur but usually clear themselves after a short period of time, 6, 12, or 24 hours. If the problem persist beyond 24 hours then the forum team will need to raise it internally to have the false positive corrected, i.e. not identify your email signature, likely your website's URL, as an indicator for spam.

Hi amsb, please keep checking on this and if there is still an issue after 24 hours as 用心棒 has stated then please let us know and we will then be able to look into things further for you. - Chris 

Thank you.

The error messages are: when I click send in Apple Mail, it keeps email in the outbox, and shows this:

"Cannot send message using the server [my virgin email address] The attempt to read data from the server “smtp.virginmedia.com” failed. Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent."

Shows a list of servers related to my other mail (gmail, iCloud) and virginmedia, blueyonder (not sure why it's got those old ones!), and I can click from there to edit SMTP server list.

In Virgin webmail I got more info:

(554 - 554 5.2.0 SMTP602 Message contains Spam Content;id=MOOngovuwRdI9MOOnqiZ13;sid=MOOnqovuwRdord-ni1-vmo:d=20230720:=092345(CET]:ipsrc=100.107.83.2

but after removing the HTML from my signature, I seem to have got that working again.

I'll see how it is tomorrow.

best wishes

Ailsa