Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails Bouncing Back "Message contains bare CR"

otronics
On our wavelength

Some emails are bouncing back.

The error:

Error Type: SMTP Remote server (IP ADDRESS REMOVED) issued an error. hMailServer sent: . Remote server replied: 552 5.2.0 Message contains bare CR and is violating 822.bis section 2.3

Any idea what this means?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@otronics wrote:

Any idea what this means?

Well sort of, but I'm not am by no means an expert.

Your recipient's email provider rejected those emails as part of their anti spam measure - but not because the contents of the email itself look suspicious.

It's a problem with the email headers of your message. These headers are created by either the outgoing server or the email app or client (such as Outlook, Gmail or Apple Mail for example) that you are using to send your email message.

"CR" stands for Carriage Return.  A "bare" carriage return is where a 'CR' (carriage return) character appears without an accompanying 'LF' (linefeed) and that breaks the generally accepted rules,

A bare CR in the header of an email message are often seen in the badly formed email headers of spam emails and that is why the receiving email server is rejecting your email.

If you are using the Virgin Media webmail service or an email app or client, such as Outlook, Gmail or Apple Mail for example, then the contents of the email header are completely out of your control.

To identify where this problem is being created could you clarify how you are sending these emails?  So whether you are using VM webmail on the VM website or if not, then which email app/client you are using?

Also, it might be useful to know whether the emails that are generating that error message are ones that you have received and then forwarded on (so your forwarded email is being rejected)  or whether they are emails that you have composed and sent as brand new emails.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

otronics
On our wavelength

Emails are generated using Weather Station software (they are automated). I guess the problem lies there as other automated emails using different software are working fine.

The full chain is this:

Email generated by weather software (so brand new emails each time) > hMailServer (so I'm not using any webmail).

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@otronics wrote:

Emails are generated using Weather Station software (they are automated). I guess the problem lies there as other automated emails using different software are working fine.

Thanks for coming back with that. I would contact that Weather Station Software company's support team with the full error message and see what advice they have.

It would be strange if you are their only customer to have experienced that error so  a bit of online searching before you contact them might provide some useful information.

" brand new emails each time"

Again thanks for that information. I really only asked about that because not all email services generate forwarded emails the same way. That means that some issues only arise with forwarded emails and I wondered if that was the case here. Clearly that's not a factor in this case so you can forget that.

I hope you can get an answer and solution from the software company.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks