cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin v6 Set Top Box is completely and totally dead.

Williamd3
Joining in

On Saturday 27th January 2023, at around 5.30pm, our Virgin V6 Toshiba MQ01ABD100V Set Top Box suddenly died. There was and continues to be no power WHATSOVER. Having rung Virgin 150, we were told by a member of customer service that they could send a replacement set top box, BUT THAT IT WOULD TAKE 3-5 WORKING DAYS to arrive.

So almost a week without a service which we pay £46.00 A MONTH. In addition, all our recordings are GONE, never to be seen again

Why they don't have an express-type delivery service, I have no idea.

And all due to a circumstance which is totally beyond our control.

3 REPLIES 3

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To my knowledge, VM have never used Toshiba for V6 boxes - they're supplied by Arris although may use Toshiba storage.

That aside, VM offer a residential service and replacements are usually performed by means of tech visit. This allows for proper investigation of whether - in your case - the PSU or box is the cause of the fault. A failure on a weekend is unfortunate, but even Ofcom's loss of service criteria (which doesn't cover TV) allows a 2working day grace period for fault restoration.

Your £46 will more than likely be for your whole package, and the TV element would be an element of that. If you have a compatible mobile device, you can access your channel package using the TV Go app in the meantime - https://www.virginmedia.com/help/tv/how-to-use-virgin-tv-go-app 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Community elder

There is a possibility that it is the power supply that is faulty so you won't have lost your recording's, but I don't know if they send a new power supply if they send a box so it could be best to have an engineer visit.

As already mentioned the Toshiba part number is the hard drive.

If you still have an aerial you can always watch Freeview while you are waiting.

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Williamd3, thank you for reaching out and I am so sorry to hear about this.

I have taken a look and I can see you've spoke to the team, did they manage to help at all?

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?