cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset Virgin 360 box - lose all recordings

davorg
Up to speed

I've just had to factory reset my Virgin 360 box. I'm used to that. Over the last four months or so, I've had to do it every three weeks or so. I recognise the symptoms

• First the channel icons stop loading
  • Then the images on the home page and in the EPG stop loading
  • The streaming apps stop streaming
  • If I leave it long enough, recordings will start failing

I think there's a fault in the box. I'd report that and get the box changed - but this is the third one I've had and they've all been sub-standard in some way. This one, at least, has a fault that I can usually deal with.

But...

As I said, I've just done the regular reset. Because I've done it so often, I'm well aware of how to do it so that the box retains my recordings. But this evening, that didn't work. Once the box came back to life I had no recordings and no planned recordings. And previously, the disk was about 50%.

I've had enough. I'm paying £65 a month for a service that just isn't fit for purpose. It's simply not worth what I'm paying you. I know I'm still under contract, so it would cost me to get out. But maybe that's not the case it you're not providing the service I'm paying for.

I've been a customer since VM began. Before that I was with ntl and C&W. But I've finally had enough. As soon as I can get out of this contract, I'm off. I'm going to switch to another broadband provider and buy a Freely TV.

This just isn't good enough for the money I'm paying.

@davorg
Former Cable & Wireless and ntl customer
5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@davorg wrote:

I'm going to ... buy a Freely TV.

I'm guessing from this comment, that you don't view many pay-TV channels?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@japitts wrote:

@davorg wrote:

I'm going to ... buy a Freely TV.

I'm guessing from this comment, that you don't view many pay-TV channels?

I can't see I'd miss much with a Freely box and a few carefully-chosen streaming services.

Currently I have Maxit TV. But I can't think of many channels I'd miss that badly.

@davorg

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @davorg 

The bulleted symptons you describe in your opening paragraph are all errors that are due to a lack of an  internet connection.

How is your general internet performing?

Is your 360 box connected by ethernet cable or wirelessly? If it's by ethernet cable, have you tried using a different cable, or different ethernet port on your hub?

The factory reset you performed probably wouldn't affect the internet connection, but it shouldn't have resulted in you losing your recordings.  My 360 updated overnight to version 5.10. It's possible yours did this unsuccessfully due to a loss of, or poor internet connection.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

My broadband has been performing as expected - in tests I'm getting the 350 Mb that VM promises. And I have no problem streaming using apps built into my TV or on my NVIDIA Shield.

My 360 box is connected using an ethernet cable. It's the one that VM gave me. I can certainly try switching it for another one. But it'll be a couple of weeks before I'd expect to see the symptoms starting to recur.

The box did upgrade to a new version of the software during the reset. And I see it's now running 5.10.

One idea I've just had. At the start of the year, I signed up with BARB and Kantar have fitted all their equipment to monitor what I'm watching. I wonder if that's having an effect.

Thanks for the advice.

@davorg

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@davorg wrote:

I signed up with BARB and Kantar have fitted all their equipment to monitor what I'm watching. I wonder if that's having an effect.

Remove it from the loop for a period of elimination, assuming that's permitted in whatever agreement you might have signed with them.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks