cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access on-demand or iplayer.

trueknight
Joining in

I haven't been able to access on-demand or iPlayer for quite a few years. I had intended to cancel virgin media and subscribe to Sky as I believe I would get a better service, but even though previous experence of attempting to speak to an actual person was such such a nightmare, I decided I would try and called 150 as recommended. A big, big mistake all I received was an annoying automated voice that just wanted to send me a link to download an app.

I don't want an app. I want to speak to a person about my problem of being unable to access on-demand and iPlayer.

I can fully understand why virgin media receive such negative reviews, perhaps if they stopped hiding behind machines and actually spoke to their customers then user satisfaction may increase.

Meanwhile as a 72-year old customer who is not digitally savvy, I now have the choice of either to continue being unable to access the above mentioned programs or experience the delights of Sky who now guarantee broadband connection in every room of the house.

Pull your finger out and help your customers or this one will be saying goodbye . . . . .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@trueknight wrote:

It's the Virgin TV TiVo Box

In which case the internet connection is in-built to the TiVo and separate from your home broadband - so playing with your router will be having no effect on this.

If the heartbeat light is flashing, that's a failed internal modem which will cause no internet connection.

If the hearbeat light is not flashing, there's something else awry in software - if a restart fails to clear this, then the box has a fault.

You're very likely looking at the TiVo being swapped out via tech visit, for a V6. Same software, much newer box - that does use your home broadband.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Once you've chosen the "I have a fault" options on the IVR, don't press any further buttons but just wait silently on the line and you should join the queue.

The TiVo has an in-built internet connection, and if all your online functionality is failing there's a good chance that's what's failed. On the front-left of your TiVo are a series of green lights - check the one with the heartbeat symbol, is it flashing? The onboard modem has failed if so.

Assuming that is the case, you can either callback and be very specific that your heartbeat light is flashing, or post back here and wait a few days for VM staff to respond.

Assuming you have VM home broadband, a tech visit should be arranged and your TiVo will be swapped for a V6 - it runs the same software but on a much quicker, newer box.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @trueknight,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am so sorry to hear that you've had some ongoing issues with viewing On Demand and BBC iPlayer content via your TV box, and that you've also not had a great experience when trying to raise this to the team.

Would you mind expanding on the issues you're having exactly? Does an error message appear on the screen?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hello Zack,

There are no error messages as such, on occasional error pops up but all the time. I have the rotating circle which goes on for a while then the screen will go black, I leave it for a considerable time but nothing happens, The Modem was originally installed in 2003 and the modem is upstairs in the house, I have previously bought these so-called plug-in extensions, but they make no difference at all. It really needs a service guy to visit and check the signal is reaching the TV as I'm aware I do have a couple of black areas in the house. I am not I.T. savvy at all.

Any help would be appreciated

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you have a TiVo or a V6? https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-fault/which-tv-box 

If TiVo - refer to my post above, it doesn't use your home broadband.

If V6 - there is other stuff we can try.

Hello Japitts

As far as I'm aware it is a TiVo as it's never been upgraded.

There are no flashing lights anywhere on the box as per your previous response.

Many thanks for your help

Kindest regards

trueknight

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There's a link in my previous post which has photos of the boxes. Please check and confirm.

The TiVo & V6 are very different connectivity.

Hello,

Thanks again

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@trueknight wrote:

In which case the internet connection is in-built to the TiVo and separate from your home broadband - so playing with your router will be having no effect on this.

If the heartbeat light is flashing, that's a failed internal modem which will cause no internet connection.

If the hearbeat light is not flashing, there's something else awry in software - if a restart fails to clear this, then the box has a fault.

You're very likely looking at the TiVo being swapped out via tech visit, for a V6. Same software, much newer box - that does use your home broadband.

Many thanks for the advice, I'll try it tomorrow and let you know the outcome.

Best wishes

trueknight