cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Websafe not blocking websites (after I mapped google domains to force SafeSearch)

sju
Tuning in

Recently I tried to map my Mac's Google domain to force SafeSearch settings on (via Google's instructions here), but since then, the WebSafe on my Mac stopped blocking websites it should.

After looking at this post, I realised that might be due to my Mac's DNS setting being changed. Now the 'AS Server' on https://1.1.1.1/help is shown as 'Google Servers'. 

I wonder how I can get WebSafe working back again while keeping the force Google SafeSearch settings on? 

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 19.07.10.png

Any directions would be helpful. Cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sju wrote:

Recently I tried to map my Mac's Google domain to force SafeSearch settings on (via Google's instructions here), but since then, the WebSafe on my Mac stopped blocking websites it should.

After looking at this post, I realised that might be due to my Mac's DNS setting being changed. Now the 'AS Server' on https://1.1.1.1/help is shown as 'Google Servers'. 

Having followed Google's instructions to create /private/etc/hosts either let your device accept the DNS set by Virgin Media's hub or manually configure to 194.168.4.100, 194.168.8.100.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sju wrote:

Having followed Google's instructions to create /private/etc/hosts either let your device accept the DNS set by Virgin Media's hub or manually configure to 194.168.4.100, 194.168.8.100.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the advice. May I ask if you could show me the steps on how to follow either of these options, please?

Hi sju,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. We're sorry to hear that you're having issues with your web safe and this not blocking certain websites. 

We are aware of an issue, as some customers are unable to save their web safe setting through their MyVM account. This has been reported. Our team are working as quickly as possible to get this issue resolved.

Kind regards Jodi. 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sju wrote:

Thanks for the advice. May I ask if you could show me the steps on how to follow either of these options, please?

Are you using your own router with Virgin Media's Hub in modem mode?

• Yes, then review your router's user guide to see how to manual set its DNS or post its make and model here for further help
  • No, then follow the instructions here Change DNS settings on Mac – Apple Support (UK) and remove any manually set DNS entries; when no entries exist it will default to that provided by Hub

I am not using it in modem mode. I just changed my DNS settings following the instructions and my WebSafe works perfectly again. 

Thank you so much! 

Thank you for letting us know @sju and a big thank you to our community team for all their help here, we are very grateful.

If you ever need any help in the future please do pop back to us and we will do all we can to assist.