cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed not achieved and Jira website really slow to login and use

ColFB
Joining in

Hi there

I'm on a 250mbps package but a speed test today is showing I'm only getting 68.75mbps.
I have reset the router but the reset made it worse (prior it was 120mbps).

In addition to that I use Jira for work, but this is really slow and hanging to use. It takes 20-30 sec for a page refresh / new page to load. https://jira.cprime.io/

So I currently have 2 issues

1) Speed seems very slow compared to normal (68 vs 250) and
2) using the Jira website for work is very slow

I checked this with my work's IT prior to Xmas and they said Jira was running well. They asked me to use Internet Speed Test - Measure Network Performance | Cloudflare and my colleageue said : 

ok, looks like there are issues with your connection/ISP, specifically with uploading. Upload latency is "acceptable" when under 100ms and ideal when under ~50ms. Upload jitter should be under 30ms... Your connection also looks pretty wildly inconsistent. Residential network services generally use shared lines and when others nearby are using  (i.e., neighbors who share your bandwidth), yours could be impacted which could partly explain the variance. I would expect you sporadically experience major slowness for other systems where you are saving info and reloading pages (Jira, Salesforce, Quickbase, etc.)? Unfortunately because of that, there isn't really anything we can do to resolve and would be an issue to work out directly with your provider. However, I also wonder what they would even be able to do, as ISPs intentionally sell their network speeds as "up to", allowing for shared network traffic for people located near each other... Switching to a fiber network would certainly help and/or completely resolve it but not sure if that would make sense for you. 😕

Colin  14:00
Thanks Tom! That's so odd... I'm think I'm on Virgin Media fibre connection and connecting to everything else, bar Jira is speedy

Tom

14:08
If you are paying for fiber, you probably want to contact Virgin Media - the screenshots you sent are what you would expect to see more with cable...

Colin  14:09
Thanks! What areas / sections of the screen shot tell you that?Jira is the only site where I'm hanging.. confluence is a little faster and hangs slightly

Tom

14:12
Everything to do with the uploads would point to cable (or DSL?). Fiber should be a parallel connection in most cases, where the upload speeds would be close to the download speeds. Cable most commonly runs at a 30Mbps user upload speed, which is above where you are now. If it was fiber, I'd expect to see probably 250Mpbs upload speed, which would closely correlate to your download speed. The upload jitter and latency numbers are really crazy high though and probably the specific pieces that have the biggest impact on your day to day working

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

4 REPLIES 4

Cardiffman282
Super solver

Just to note that you have included hyperlinks to your work logins for both Jira and Slack, have named colleagues and copied a whole work thread. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What Hub are you using and is this a WiFi or wired connection?

Run the FULL test on this website and post the results please.  www.samknows.com/realspeed

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ColFB
Joining in

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 08.38.41.png

Hey ColFB, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear you are having some speed issues.

The speeds you get at home will, of course, depend on a variety of factors, it depends on your package, what and how many devices you have, how they are connected amongst other things.
We do have a download speed guarantee though - this will show the minimum speed we would expect for all our packages - you can take a look at that here: 

I have taken a look and everything is looking on our end, can you post your BQM here for us please. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?