cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2gb facts ???

jasonu
On our wavelength

1 router super hub 5 ?

2. ethernet in pc 100/1000 1gb card or need the 100/1000/10000 card . 10 gb card 

3. when it comes looking and cant work out 1gb to 2gb in package goes up £30 a month but £6 extra confused ...

thanks

note not on my postcode yet .. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

1) no it’s a Hub5x and 2G is only available in FTP locations, not DOCSIS or RFoG locations, at present.

2) Hub5x ha 1 x 10g port the others are still 1G. If you want more devices to run at >1G you need to get a network switch.

3) VM should send you all the information when it becomes available in your location. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

29 REPLIES 29

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

1) no it’s a Hub5x and 2G is only available in FTP locations, not DOCSIS or RFoG locations, at present.

2) Hub5x ha 1 x 10g port the others are still 1G. If you want more devices to run at >1G you need to get a network switch.

3) VM should send you all the information when it becomes available in your location. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Also the extra £6 is for a 2GB synchronous connection.  I hope your pockets are deep, in order to get the networking kit to keep up with the speed.   😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Stand by for the new Gig2 customers complaining that they are connecting at 70 Mbps because they are on their old phones on the 2.4 GHz band. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That is closer to the truth than you think  🙂  Just because it's 2Gb to the Hub does not mean 2Gb to every bit of IoT in the house .....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

For folks asking the question of what kit to use on a 2Gb/s connection, perhaps another consideration applies.

A 2 Gb/s service means having 21,600 Gigabytes of file download capacity per day.  

We do not buy a vast excess of any other product or service and allow most of it go to waste.

Selling bandwidth to domestic customers has become taking candy from a baby.

Yeah it's the Lambo in the suburban driveway mentality. "Just look at my wad everyone!" as they potter about between red traffic lights every block or so in 20mph zones on the school run. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

@Client62 wrote:

For folks asking the question of what kit to use on a 2Gb/s connection, perhaps another consideration applies.

A 2 Gb/s service means having 21,600 Gigabytes of file download capacity per day.  

We do not buy a vast excess of any other product or service and allow most of it go to waste.

Selling bandwidth to domestic customers has become taking candy from a baby.

For now it's not metered, and that's thanks to a vast excess of it being allowed to go to waste. This would certainly change if customers wanted to ensure they weren't wasting any capacity. It'd move from a burst speed charge to a usage based charge.

Personally I have a very fast service for that burst speed. I don't consider not maxing it out 24x7 as 'waste': I'm not paying to max it 24x7.

Let people buy whatever they want to: the most widely used game distribution system, Steam, will saturate a 2 Gbps connection. Some folks are impatient and pay for the convenience.

@Cardiffman282 wrote:

Yeah it's the Lambo in the suburban driveway mentality. "Just look at my wad everyone!" as they potter about between red traffic lights every block or so in 20mph zones on the school run. 

My mentality is 'I don't want to have to use QoS, I'd rather have abundant capacity so that everything is always smooth and I never max the connection out in normal usage.

I can't speak for anyone else of course, but regardless posting speed tests gets old really quickly for most people I'd imagine, especially when paying a load of money for the privilege.

IPFreely
Fibre optic

@jasonu wrote:

1 router super hub 5 ?

2. ethernet in pc 100/1000 1gb card or need the 100/1000/10000 card . 10 gb card 

3. when it comes looking and cant work out 1gb to 2gb in package goes up £30 a month but £6 extra confused ...

thanks

note not on my postcode yet .. 

You've cable right now I guess so you'll probably have a Gig2 service available over that first, via a Hub5.

2.5G network card will be fine. 

The cable version will come with different pricing and no £6 for symmetrical upload.

Reading your previous experiences with VMO2 signing a new contract with them costing a lot more, the pricing is on the website is crazy, and tying you to them for a fairly long period seems an extremely bad idea. The terms of the cable contract will not be the same as the full fibre one and it could be a fair wait for the full fibre product.