cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MISOLD AND DIRECT DEBIT SET UP WITHOUT CONSENT WITH O2!!!

janey55
On our wavelength

I HAVE BEEN MISOLD, GDPR HAS BEEN BREACHED BY STORING MY FINANCIAL INFORMATION LONGER THAN IT  WAS REQUIRED ON AN OLD VIRGIN MOBILE CONTACT AND THEN USING MY SAID DETAILS TO SET UP A DIRECT DEBIT WITHOUT PERMISSION WITH O2! VIRGIN MEDIA HAVE BROKEN THE LAW ON MANY LEVELS YET YOUR CUSTOMER RELATIONS DO NOT CARE! 

Spent 3 days on WhatsApp (could not get through on the phone but all I got was directed to payment line and cut off) trying to sort my package out as end of contract and discounts ended. Wanting to charge me £85 for something I have been paying £51 for.

On the 3rd day form to speak with someone!I explained that £51 pm was a stretch as it is, single Mum working part time due to poor health mentally and physically due to illness and disabilities. I explained this just after paying £87 that I could not afford as I was scared of my services being disconnected as I work from home (it’s either that or end up unemployed on full unemployment and sick benefits, which I’m not against for those that need it, but my job is my last little bit of sanity and routine that I have with being housebound a lot.

They eventually agreed to let me keep the same price if I took an O2 sim but this would be included! I would even get my bill fixed for the duration of the contract, SIM too, that payments would be the same date each month for both and even get 3 wifi boosters!

I agreed. Checked the pre contract information. Double checked that the price was fixed for both VM and 02, reassured that I was protected from RPI increase, and that the statement with I had received was just a generic mandatory statement, and that I was not to worry!

So, it seemed perfect. No hassle changing over after nearly 20 years of being a customer, no interruption to service, price was right (well I would rather pay nothing but I also know these services are not free!).

So, I gave them the go ahead, pre contract information received via email reflected what I was being sold and I agreed to continue, only to find this morning I had been billed by 02 separately, my contract with VM was £52 not £51 (it’s not the quid I’m bothered about), dates for payment would be completely different, price not fixed and they had even set up a direct debit when I haven’t had one set up since I ended my Virgin Mobile contract nearly two years ago! VM had given my bank details to set up a Direct Debit without consent to O2! Why did they even still have my banking information for a contract that was cancelled nearly two years ago?!

Spent all day on WhatsApp chat whilst trying to work from home all day from 9:30am this morning, to eventually get passed to Customer Relations at 15:50. STILL waiting on a response there! I called Customer Relations myself at 5pm, on the phone for 2 hours, spoke to an agent who just didn’t get it, two managers and all I was offered was the package price I had agreed to, but if any price increases came around , I would need to call and go through it all again! No acknowledgment to the fact that I had been misled, Miss-sold, lied to, that they had stored my bank details for what must have been many years without me knowing them setting up a direct debit with those details without my permission and a general disregard for all the stress and inconvenience caused! They were quite happy for me to cancel, take my case to OFCOM, Trading Standards, Social Media, they didn’t care!!!!!!! Have the same kind of issues every time it comes to renewal, but as I neeeed my internet for work, school and college, and the speed and connection is generally sufficient, I was reluctant to leave.

Crazy thing is I have THE WHOLE WHATSAPP CONVERSATION! Pre contract information via email, the lot, but no one cares! 

VIRGIN MEDIA YOU ARE STRAIGHT UP AWFUL AND YOU JUST DON’T CARE ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMERS! I AM GOING TO BRING THIS TO THE ATTENTION OF ANYONE THAT WILL LISTEN INCLUDING TRADING STANDARDS, OFCOM, ICO FOR BREECH OF GDPR, WATCHDOG, TIKTOK, INSTAGRAM THE LOT! YOU MESSED WITH THE WRONG PERSON!!!

6 REPLIES 6

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

Sounds like you scored a Full House in terms of the VM customer service bingo. 

The formal complaints process, including escalation procedure, is here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/complaints

As a side note it is fair to say that I am a regular on here but I can never recall an ex gratia payment by VM for poor service. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

goslow
Alessandro Volta

If these problems came about as a result of a renewal or an upgrade, are you still within your 14 day cooling off period for the change?

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi janey55,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, really sorry to hear you feel you have been miss-sold a package and that an 02 account was set up unbeknown to you.

You have also had issues with payment amounts and dates not being as expected, I would like to have a look into this for you, I will send you an invite into a private chat, please look out for the white envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

janey55
On our wavelength

I have cancelled despite Customer Relations telling me that I was in contract and that I would receive a termination fee! My contract ran out 2 months ago!

I think Ofcom would be interested to hear about that particular scare tactic https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/Breaking-OFCOM-investigating-VM-over-difficult...

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"My contract ran out 2 months ago!" No, when a 12/18/24 contact expires you are placed on a 1 month rolling contract. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2