cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total loss of service, over a week.

bophoe
Tuning in

Hi,

I’ve had Virgin Broadband for over 10 years at my current address. The signal has always been poor as it is a long run of cable and my flat is the furthest away from the entrance. This has meant that even though I’m paying for 1Gig, I barely get 10% of this speed. This is up until recently when a week ago, I’ve suffered total loss of service. I went online and checked the usual troubleshooting, and eventually it led me to book an engineer. He attended the next day and commented that the internal communal wiring was very poor, and multiple splitters were in place to other flats on a single cable. He did what he could to improve it but left with the fault still in place and no service. He mentioned there was also a potential issue locally. I have waited a week with absolutely no change, and also opened a complaint, to which the response has been to suggest I unplug some devices from my router to help! Where do I stand with this? I complained about the general speeds years ago, and a repull was done to my flat, but a few months later, an engineer had cut the other apartments into this using splitters so the speeds/reliability was back to usual. I do not see why I am paying a premium for no service.

Michael

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Fault compensation process is explained here in a post from yesterday

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Something-dodgy-going-on-at-VM/m-p/5517642#...

Hi Goslow,

Aside from compensation, how about getting it fixed though as every time I’ve tried to book another engineer today it fails when I tick the box to accept the terms and conditions and click confirm.

Michael

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like a difficult situation, as internal communal wiring is more often than not the responsibility of the building management agent. I would also be getting in touch with them & pushing for a resolution.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You will get a reply from the VM forum team on here (usually within a few days) and they may be able to offer some more useful help.

If you do have a 'total loss of service' of broadband or phone (using a wired connection to a device) then you need to phone that in as a fault for the compensation clock to start running. Keep detailed records as you go along to ensure you get the correct payout.

Your description though sounds like you may struggle to get a substantive fix if VM tech's keep splitting the connection and/or you have a local fault as well.

You might be able to check for a general fault in your area using the automated fault number 0800 561 0061. If VM is aware of a general area fault they typically won't book technician visits to individual customers until the area fault has cleared

Thanks both,

The communal wiring is just the bit between the virgin box outside and each flat in a Victorian conversion. Essentially there should be a cable for each flat but capacity seems to be an issue due to damaged ducts outside so splitting this is their solution. I will see if anyone from VM responds. The automated line suggests there’s fault, but gives no detail whatsoever as to what it is or when it occurred so it’s hard to determine if it’s the fault in question.

thanks 

Michael

Hi @bophoe 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us and welcome to the Community Forums. Apologies for the issues that you have had with the service in your home, so that we can look into this, please can you join us in a private message. Please look out for the envelope on the top right of your web browser or if you are using a mobile device, it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Sabrina