cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable connections outside house - can I modify?

noah-phipps
Joining in

The house has just been rendered, and the virgin box on the front has been removed; I now need to put it back on, though annoyingly they broke the front and it's gone now. However, because the cable coming from the ground is too short, the box wasn't actually large enough to cover both the cable connector and the point of entry to the house. Am I right in thinking I can simply buy a new inline connector - an F type one I think - so that I can then use some narrow cable protection to run up the wall, use some narrow cable protection instead? I believe a twin connector was used to allow the phone line to connect also, but that's now gone.PXL_20240512_162419476.jpg

7 REPLIES 7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You cannot make any modifications to VM cables, it’s against the T&C and may introduce noise into the circuit. Contact VM and they will rectify, see below: 

The primary place to report faults or for service requests is Customer Services on 0345 454 1111/150 if you have a VM landline or wait two or three days for a VM staff member to get to your post.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Do you think there's any chance they'll just post me an inline connector? Don't really want a tech out screwing in to the new render and damaging it, want to take care of it myself. 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The splitter was for a second outlet, usually a TV box. There is an insertion loss of 3.5 - 4dB by having this in the circuit, so removing it will alter your signal levels. Also it is a shared connection with the rest of the street. Any non standard alteration could therefore cause issues to neighbours as well as yourself.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

If Virgin were to post me a new inline single connector, instead of a splitter, would this have a similar loss, so that I could install myself instead of needing to get an engineer out?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@noah-phipps wrote:

If Virgin were to post me a new inline single connector, instead of a splitter, would this have a similar loss, so that I could install myself instead of needing to get an engineer out?

No, it has no loss because it’s not a splitter. VM won’t send anything out when making alterations to the network, as this is the most common source of network issues.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I'm sure your neighbours connected to the same circuit would not want you to do this. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks for reaching out to us @noah-phipps, and welcome back to our Community Forums!

I'll seek to take some details from you and have this booked in.

We can also ensure notes are added to the work order I'll need to raise, so we can ensure that they're aware of your concerns on the care that needs to be undertaken.

Check out the envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

Thanks

David_Bn