cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 keep losing connection and dropping with 5GHZ

Poddys
Dialled in

For several months our 5ghz wifi has kept dropping but the 2.4mhz is ok.
I have 2 different names for the connections and had no problems since I put the Hub 4 in, which was almost 2 years ago. Now though, the 5ghz connection is dropping multiple times a day.
I thought at first it might be a fault on my laptop but it's affecting all devices attached (2 Android phones, Android tablet, Virgin 360 Box etc).
I haven't reported the problem through my account as the first steps I'm asked to do are usually to check the cables, reboot the router etc, all of which I have done.
The only thing I can think of is that Virgin engineers were working outside in the road a few months ago and maybe a connection got knocked.

Any thoughts on what my best way of proceeding is please? I have always had solid help from the community, but just don't relish spending an hour on the phone with someone from a call centre in India who doesn't understand the problem I am having.

Thanks in advance.
Tony

4 REPLIES 4

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unlikely to be technicians working in road, it would affect your 2.4 band and Ethernet wired devices. Likely to be interference or there is a remote chance of a hub problem.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks. I didn't know what to rule out but the common denominator I think would be the router. TV is working ok. I can't seen anything obvious in the router logs though, but those seem to be more related to problems between the router and hte outside world, not the internal network.

Poddys
Dialled in

Can't find a button to edit my post, sure there was one before...

Ended up doing a factory reset on the Hub 4, which was a faf. Several times it didn't want to respond when I tried to log in or just wouldn't load any page in the browser, but after several power off/on tries I got it up and have my 2 Wifi channels back. Just hoping the 5ghz will stay up now, it's a pain when it keeps disappearing as most devices are connected to it.

Hi Poddys,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your WiFi Bands and struggled to perform a factory reset. Were you pushing the pin into the pinhole for at least 60 seconds? You can also perform a factory reset via the My Virgin Media app, but manually at the Hub would be the best option.

Pleased to hear they're back up - if you do have any further issues from here, please don't hesitate to get back in touch.

Beth