cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brown Virgin Box Full of Water

Andyh11
Joining in

After a lot of rain yesterday my internet went off. Did the usual switch off and on etc. and eventually left it overnight.

I didn’t get a chance to check outside until this morning but the cover to my brown box has come off and it’s full of rainwater. 

Am I best to empty the water out, leave it to dry out and assume the internet will simply start working again? Or does this need attention from a technician?

IMG_1911.jpeg

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM cables are fairly resilient, but the fibre connections behind the inside cover may have been affected? It might be worthwhile checking those.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

It's likely that the box falling off has damaged the fibre, so you should book an engineer.

carl_pearce
Community elder

The fibre to coax convertor, behind the plastic panel, may have shorted:

Does the electrical plug have a green LED (Fuse could have blown)?

Andyh11
Joining in

Update - left the cover off and dried in the sun for 3/4 hours. Internet back but only at a fraction of full speed. Tried to book an engineer but Virgins online checker is failing at the final stage, and tells me to “check back later”.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you wait here a couple of days a VM Mod will pick this up and arrange a technician.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Andyh11,

Thanks for raising your post and welcome to the community.

Sorry to see that the external box cover is faulty, so we can get this sorted I've dropped you a PM to discuss further.

The message will appear within the envelope icon.

Regards

Kain