cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Get a new Hub - at no extra cost"

vginforum
Dialled in

Just in from VM

"We’re always looking for ways to improve your service, and we’ve noticed you’ve got one of our older Hubs. So, we’d like to offer you our Hub 4 – at no extra cost."

But do I need one? I live alone with one ethernet connected PC. I really only use Wi-Fi to read a Kindle fire. I am using a Virgin Super Hub

I actually have a Hub 3 which I never got round to installing. It's still in the box. I just can't face the hassle of setting up a new hub if I am going to get little or no extra from it. Although it installing the ethernet connection is just a case of swapping cable I might consider it.

I'm on the Big Bundle for TV, Broadband 125 and phone

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RT123
Dialled in

If you’re currently using a SuperHub 2, that will be why they want to send you a new router. I would strongly recommend you switch - as the SH2 is reaally old at this point.

If you set up the Hub3 - it should just be a case of swapping the  cables over - probably 10 minutes at most

I do not work for VM, just trying to help!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

RT123
Dialled in

If you’re currently using a SuperHub 2, that will be why they want to send you a new router. I would strongly recommend you switch - as the SH2 is reaally old at this point.

If you set up the Hub3 - it should just be a case of swapping the  cables over - probably 10 minutes at most

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

The SH3 is bad news as a device (see this forum for details).  Accept their Hub 4 offer!  I've had one trouble free for 4+ years.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Thank you both for helpful answers.It occurred to me I was risking nothing just by ordering the new Hub. When it arrives eventually (by Yodel, spit) I can make the leap of faith

I swear I posted a reply a few hours thanking you both. I've ordered the hub. It occurred there was no commitment in that

Thanks again for advice

RT123
Dialled in

Would prefer a Hub5 (but they’re very restrictive about who they give them to) but even Hub4 is a massive upgrade

Sometimes I despair of VM. New router finally arrived yesterday. Outside of package said "activate within 5 days or lose service" Didn't say 5 days from when... I could have been away.

Finally opened the package (with liberal use of carving knife). No setup instructions, just an A6 flyer "Let's get started"

"Just scan QR code..." I don't have a smartphone. There wasn't even a URL to get to a Quickstart guide. And that was to "save [me] time and paper". Off to DuckGoGo.

Then I remember seeing a picture on VM somewhere showing a separate note for passwords. But no, all you get is small figures on the bottom of the hub.

After all that had to lie down and recover

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is it up and running ok ? It should "activate itself" one its connected and switched on - it can take an hour or so to go through the firmware update process.

If not see this....

... Call the equipment activation number on - 0800 953 9500 (follow options) and check with them.

You will need the Model numbers, serial numbers/MAC addresses off the barcode stickers of ALL pieces of kit and also your account number

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi there @vginforum 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the community forums.

We are so glad that you have decided to order the new Hub and the set up should be very straight forward for you, if you do have any issues at all though please do pop back and let us know any time and we will do all we can to help. 

John Thank you for your reply but I was only replacing the router not a full install. By this you can see it is up and it would have been even quicker and easier if VM had included any paperwork. But having just paid a courier to deliver a brand new device they said, in their own words, they were saving money by including a QR code to the guide, not the guide itself. Not even a URL

Never mind, in the end it went smoothly once I set it running. Tip: once it starts go and have a coffee. There are so many flashing lights you wonder if something is wrong.

Still haven't worked out what difference there is