cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN capable router to replace Hub 3?

Malawi89
Tuning in

Pretty much as the title says. I'm looking to replace the hub 3 as I'm tired of the terrible connection. So want to put it in modem mode and get my own. I use a VPN (windscribe) on my laptop but like the idea of putting it on my router to provide umbrella coverage, although haven't looked too closely into what that entails. I live in a relatively compact, modern 4 bedroom house and could put the router in a central location, so not sure that mesh is necessary. Happy if mesh is the recommendation but don't really feel like connecting the units by ethernet if that's necessary (I'm a mesh noob).

Preferred budget is 100-150, but could go higher if that's unrealistic and will save me pain down the line to go higher

Anyone got any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Client62 is perhaps being slightly controversial in places 🙂 but I won't argue that here.

What I will say is that if you run the VPN on your router then every device on your network will be forced to use it. Some of those devices will be using services that block VPN access. If you definitely want to use a VPN then it's best to run it on the specific devices that really need it. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Client62
Legend

Suggesting a VPN will improve a "terrible connection" is utter nonsense.

Use of any Generic VPN will degrade the speed / latency / jitter of the connection
and quite needlessly shares all your web activity at the VPN's exit point.

What it does not do is provide additional security or any improvement in privacy.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Client62 is perhaps being slightly controversial in places 🙂 but I won't argue that here.

What I will say is that if you run the VPN on your router then every device on your network will be forced to use it. Some of those devices will be using services that block VPN access. If you definitely want to use a VPN then it's best to run it on the specific devices that really need it. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

This will likely do you I agree with jpeg1 about running the VPN on device then by router 

TUF Gaming AX3000 V2|WiFi Routers|ASUS United Kingdom

---------------------------------------------------------------

Coming on a bit strong there mate. I meant terrible connection as in the wifi drops out a lot and doesn't have great coverage. Speeds are generally fine

Thanks for the recommendation - do you reckon it's a big deal that it's wifi 6 and not 6e?

Client62
Legend

We found having "Channel Auto" was the root cause of our Hub 3's Wi-Fi dropouts.
We have our Hub 3 configured as shown below, now we do not have any random Wi-Fi dropouts.

Client62_0-1689525728997.png

Appreciate this but have other reasons for wanting a separate router. The hub is set up in my bedroom and want to place the router in the hallway. My understanding is that using an ethernet cable over this distance is fine but whatever cable that plugs in from the wall to the hub3 is engineer optimised

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you considered a good Mesh system ?

Look at TP-Link's Deco range... something for everyone in there at reasonable prices and excellent quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.