cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red light on Virgin Media Hub

Chirag27
Joining in

hi, I have a solid red light on my virgin media hub 3 for over 3 months. I’ve also been having issues with my WiFi dropping on a regular basis. I have called virgin media a few times and every time the advice is different by the technical people. I have done a reset of the wifi router recently and have taken out the wires and plugged them in again. Unfortunate the red light is still coming up.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The red LED on a Hub 3 is the overheating warning.  If this is faulty, i.e. on when it should be off, then the Hub needs replaced as it's a risk.  If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod will pick this up and discuss with you directly.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The red LED on a Hub 3 is the overheating warning.  If this is faulty, i.e. on when it should be off, then the Hub needs replaced as it's a risk.  If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod will pick this up and discuss with you directly.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Chirag27, 

Thanks for using the Community Forums to get this issue with your Hub looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration 😥 I would be more than happy to look into this for you!

Red light on Hub 3's could be an over heating warning, but we do recommend doing a pin hole reset on the Hub before we replace it. 

Please take a pin or something similarly thin and hold it in the reset hole at the back of the Hub for 30 seconds, this will factory reset your Hub and may resolve the red light issue. 

If the red light continues, or you feel it is hot to the touch, then please let us know and we can get it replaced as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Megan_L

Hi Megan, I’ve tried the 30 second pin hole reset and still the red light is coming up and the hub is hot to touch. I called virgin media twice and the first time I was advised that a new hub has been ordered but when I called again yesterday the advisor said there are no notes in the system saying a new hub has been ordered. Thanks

Thanks for coming back to me Chirag27.

Sorry to hear about the lack of action & communication from the other Teams 😥
Lets go into a PM now so we can get an engineer visit scheduled to look at the Hub and replace it.

Speak to you soon!

Thanks,

Megan_L

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Chirag27, 

Thanks for chatting with me in our PM's, I was able to book an engineer visit for you. 

If you need to check, reschedule or cancel the appointment you can do so on your MyVM account 🤗
Please let us know how the visit goes.

Thanks,

Megan_L

OIviaboos
Joining in

My hub is showing red and I've done the reset as suggested on here and it's still red. Just solid red. Doesn't seem overly hot. A bit at the top. I'm trying to get through to technical but on a 20 min wait so far.  Is there anyway to email? I've tried clicking on the online chat but nothing happens.  Where else can I get help? 

Thanks OIviaboos,

So I can help I've popped you over a private message to get a few more details from you.

Alex_Rm

wilgrace
Joining in

Hi - I have the exact same issue on a Hub 3 at a new broadband installation. I've tried all the fixes above, including factory reset, but the light remains solid red.

I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue - the internet has been intermittent and flaky for the last few weeks. Could a member of the forum team please help arrange a replacement

Thanks

Stormrunes
Joining in

I've got the same issue on the Hub 3. 

Tried to pin hole reset - but still red light. Wi fi drops out and needs a booster in the next room to get anything usable.

Can someone from the forum team assist please.