cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hub5 and AMPLIFI mesh

Downsy1
Tuning in

Hi. For nearly 3 years was using hub3 in modem mode with AMPLIFI Gamers Edition mesh system with 2 extra mesh points around the house. Has been excellent. Didn’t really need to change but why not??
Upgraded to hub5 today and used quickly in router mode with AMPLIFI unplugged. So far seems very good downstairs by the router but speeds dropping off on 1st floor and half speed on 2nd floor. Usable but not great. To be expected? Questions are:

do I try the virgin boosters (will I even qualify for free boosters if download speed 300 on 2nd floor?), or do I plug the AMPLIFI back in and use the mesh points?

Can’t go back to hub3 and AMPLIFI I presume? And shouldn’t have to I guess.

Will the AMPLIFI Gamers Edition work with the Wi-Fi 6 of the hub5, or restrict speeds as it is not Wi-Fi 6? 

Any help much appreciated. 3 people working from home, 1 serious gamer and loads of Wi-Fi devices depend on a good outcome 😅

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

carl_pearce
Community elder

The Pods are Wi-Fi 5 so I wouldn't personally bother.

If you were happy with the previous setup just put the HUB 5 into modem mode. What subscription are you on?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

carl_pearce
Community elder

The Pods are Wi-Fi 5 so I wouldn't personally bother.

If you were happy with the previous setup just put the HUB 5 into modem mode. What subscription are you on?

Downsy1
Tuning in

Hi Carl.

Apologies, when you say subscription, I’m on 1Gig, is that what you mean? Many thanks 

@Downsy1 wrote:

Hi Carl.

Apologies, when you say subscription, I’m on 1Gig, is that what you mean? Many thanks 

Yes, that's what I meant.

The reason I ask is when you put the HUB 5 into modem mode you'll be limited to around 900-940Mbps bandwidth, compared to 1130Mbps available, due to the 1Gbps ethernet ports.

There is one 2.5Gbps ethernet port, however you'd need a third party router/mesh system with a 2.5Gbps port to make the most of Gig1.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think I’d stick to modem mode and Unifi kit.  Even with the loss of wifi 6, that Unifi router is a better bet IMHO. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Interesting, thanks very much again. Beginning to think there wasn’t much point in upgrading to the 1Gig and hub5 😂

I did put the hub in modem mode but could connect to it, so had to do a factory reset. I believe I can connect my AMPLIFI and put it into bridge mode. Maybe that will work, and I can then use the mesh points around the house. Will give it a try

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it 

Thank you Adduxi.

I think I need a day to test out a few different configs. Just a shame it’s all a bit trial and error!

Hi, so I put the hub5 in modem mode, attached my mesh router…and nothing. Mesh router doesn’t connect. 
I saw some previous posts that the hub5 doesn’t support this functionality? 
So hub5 and mesh doesn’t work, hub5 is quite good standalone, but my old hub3 with my mesh is best!! Can I go back?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hub5 does support modem mode, Hub5x does not at present. So you must follow these instructions:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta, on a Hub4 the LED band will be green, on a Hub5 the LED will be green. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP (for some routers or mesh this may have to be done in router mode before entering modem mode)

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money. On a Hub5 use port 4.

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note1: this only needs doing once for each new router or when VM changes your WAN IP address.

Note2: If you have a Hub4 and your own router is NOT 192.168.0.1 then it’s possible that you can still access the VM hub on 192.168.0.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

That’s great, thank you again. 
How do I know if my Hub5 is X or not?