cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with 2.5Gb Unmanaged Switch and 2.5Gb Port

throwawayoma
Tuning in

I recently got my Hub 5 with gigabit internet. I was using a gigabit switch with no problems but would only get 950Mb to my 2 PC's. Then I purchased a 2.5Gb Switch, connected it to the 2.5Gb port and for a week had 0 problems. My PC would get 1150Mb while the other still only received 950Mb as it's motherboard is too old. Then suddenly my PC's would not be able to access the internet. It just shows unidentified network or will show it connected but have no access to the internet. The weird thing is that if I connect the 2.5Gb switch to the 1Gb ports it works but doesn't use the full speed. Whereas if I connect my gigabit switch to the 2.5Gb port, that works but caps out at 1gb.

I even thought my 2.5Gb switch was faulty so I returned and got a new one and it has the exact same issue straight away but this time it didn't even work for a week. Just to be sure I connected the same cable I used from the router directly to my PC on the 2.5Gb port and my PC gets the expected 1150mb.

Does anyone have any idea on how to troubleshoot this or what could be wrong?

Switch: https://amzn.eu/d/1XIolIv

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The silence from VM says it all really.

6 months to acknowledge an issue then another year before a fix based on previous experience....

Unless it was deliberate to stop people using a switch to the 2.5gbps port; in which case, no fix. A HUB4 would not have a 2.5gbps port and some VM staff still peddle that HUb4 is fine for gigabit as connection shared with WIFI devices. Many people asked for HUB5 due to 2.5gbps port so it might be management's idea of stopping it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

35 REPLIES 35

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

VM firmware screwed up the 2.5Gb port 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Is it possible to downgrade or do anything about this.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

nope VM only move hell forward unless we get so may reports of the same problem then they might roll back

can you try connecting PC with 2.5Gb to hub 2.5Gb port and see if that works

also see if modem mode works fine with the PC to that port

Hi,

Yes connecting directly to the 2.5Gb port works as expected. Sadly, I am unable to test modem mode since the other people in my household require Wifi.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

So it likely don't like the switch or VM have stopped you from having many devices by MAC locking limit.

You may have to get your own router with 2.5Gb WAN and LAN ports

so frustrating, I can even see my pc in the connected devices yet no internet. I cannot ping the router or vice versa. 

throwawayoma_0-1707847896491.png

throwawayoma
Tuning in

Update: Factory reset the hub my switch works again at 2.5Gbs... will see for how long.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Its possible a reset rolled back the firmware make a note of the firmware version and post here  

@legacy1 wrote:

So it likely don't like the switch or VM have stopped you from having many devices by MAC locking limit.

You may have to get your own router with 2.5Gb WAN and LAN ports

Oh give up VM don't do this!