cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Gigabit broadband speeds and drop-outs

ChrisG1968
Joining in

Hello, my set-up is:

I have Gigabit broadband from VM and a Hub5.
I have the Hub5 in modem mode.
I use an eero mesh system.
I use an 8 port DLINK Gigabit switch that distributes using CAT6 to various rooms and floors in my house.
I have eero satelites located around my house that are either hardwired and wireless or solely wireless.

All this was working well up until a month ago when sons started to raise issues.
I was easily achieving 650-700Mbps+ via hardwire eero satellites, to two computers in different rooms upstairs and a third in the attic.
WiFi was working well on everyone's devices, around the house, via the eero satelites.

Recently, over 4 weeks or so, the broadband has been slower and has been dropping out.
This has resulted in hard-wired (via eero satellites ethernet cabling) users being bounced out of online games, streaming services loosing connection and work zoom meetings failing etc.
The connection is not down for long and there has only been a couple of times were the Hub5 light is red (it is green in modem mode). Normally, when I then check, everything "looks" okay and before long its back working.

Last week regular speedtests came out at a well below expected, 90-160Mbps, the same tonight.

Tonight my son was bounced out of an online game and in a different room an iPlayer tv show went pixelated and lost connection. I ran a speedtest and it didn't connect at first and then did at 94Mbps, no doubt when the broadband came back on.

94Mbps is poor (compared to what I pay for) but should be more than enough to cope with what the family was using tonight, so I presume that I have an intermittent inbound signal issue to the house.

VM help appears to be aimed at customers who have no service and the Message Us chat appears to be just an automated message service that wants me to unplug, check connections etc. This is of no help to me, and the majority of the time the service looks to be okay (but slow).

VM guarantee at least half of what you pay for so I should be achieving a stable 500Mbps+.

In summary - broadband much slower than it should be and getting drop-outs.
What can I do to resolve this?
Can a technician be sent to check the local exchange box or the cabling to my house or cabling to VM equipment?
Is there anything VM can do remotely?
Are there any quality signal checks I can do myself, not that will solve anything but would let me monitor and give stats to my problem?

Hope somebody can help 🙂

Thanks

Chris

5 REPLIES 5

Client62
Legend

Are you aware of the issues with the Hub 5 2.5Gb/s port ? - If not try one of the 1Gb/s ports.
Ref : https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Hub-5-Firmware-Upgrade/td-p/5480079

A Realspeed test performed in Router mode would quickly answer the question
of is this a service to the Hub issue or some kind of internal network problem.

Hi Client62,
I wasn't aware of the Hub5 2.5Gb/s port, but as I have it as modem does this matter?

So, I should reset the Hub5 into router mode and run a Realspeed test?
Will this give me extra info other than upload/dowload?

Client62
Legend

Try 0800 561 0061 - check for a known fault in your street via this automated services.
If there is a known fault is may be a case of 'do not adjust your set'.

The 2.5Gb/s issue is present in router & modem mode.

The Realspeed test is the only way to answer the question of if you have a  good service to the house.
Without this any other diagnostics become total guess work.

Hi Client62,

Thanks for your help.

I checked the 0800 561 0061 number and there are no known faults in my area.

Last night the internet was acceptable but continued to be way below what I should get.
iPlayer stream stopped once but then continued after a minute.
Internet is working okay today, still below at 252Mbps, but the not all users have connected yet.
Problem I have in my family is that there are 6 people that work from home, so there's never a good time to turn off and start experimenting.

When I can experiment, would the following be okay?
Put the Hub5 into router mode.
Remove CAT6 cable that goes to my office PC from the gigabit switch and connect to the Hub5.
Run Realspeed test.
This should give me service to the house data.
Who would I contact at VM to get this improved?

Thanks 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

www.samknows.com/realspeed

This only works when the router is in modem mode.  VM will not do any troubleshooting whilst the Hub is in modem mode.

Post your power levels and network log.  Setup a BQM  www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment.   Note VM only guarantee 30Mb Wifi speeds ....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks