cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps dropping in and out

JoshuaParker123
Joining in

Hi

I've been having issues for the past 3 days now where the WiFi keeps dropping. There's no issues in my area and an engineer is coming out to look at it but I'm wondering if the issue is potentially the main plug that gives the modem power? Or could this be something else and not related?

The main plug that came with the modem ceased working completely so I replaced this with just a shop bought power plug (12W). This gives the modem power and remains on but I still keep losing net connection throughout the day various times.

Could the plug be the source of the problem or is it likely to be something else completely? - at no point does the power itself drop with this plug just the net itself keeps dropping

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

If the power cable or socket at the hub is a problem, then when your WiFi drops, and if the hub glitches, it would reboot.  You'd see that happening by looking at the lights.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See this first...

... are your issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check on one to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub/plug related?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John.

All devices that are connected to the Internet wirelessly all drop at once - I haven't yet tested if a device stays on when directly connected via cable - I will test that then get back to you. 

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

If the power cable or socket at the hub is a problem, then when your WiFi drops, and if the hub glitches, it would reboot.  You'd see that happening by looking at the lights.

Hi,

Yes I believe this is my issue then, the power never completely goes off but the light starts to flash and seems like it's rebooting. 

I'm guessing my best bet might be to purchase the exact plug that originally comes with the modem? - the socket is fine as other devices run off it when I've tested the socket 

I don't think, in fact I'm certain, you don't need to buy anything.  This is likely to be an issue with your VM circuit.  It would help if you posted your hub's power levels (upstream/downstream and the Network Log.  Then we can see if there's anything obvious to us.

Hi @JoshuaParker123 

Welcome to our community forums and sorry to hear about your rebooting hub issue. We are however glad to see you had a technician appointment for this. Can you let us know if the issue persists? Do you need any further help?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs