cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get a Wifi Pod

lezhood
Joining in

Need a free Wifi Pod to cover of a blackspot at home please. I am main Account holder. 

Tried via VM Connecy and My Virgin Media to no avail.

Please help.

7 REPLIES 7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you wait here a couple of days a VM Mod should pick this thread up and discuss with your directly.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See this for background info

Do you know if you only have a wifi only issue (are ethernet connected devices ok?), if it is just wifi - then On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App or Apple Airport Utility) to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 30 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible - if you are - it is clearly stated on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month for up to 3 pods (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point, (4) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @lezhood,

Thank you for your post, it's great you are interested in our pods. I can see you have spoken to our team, were they able to get this ordered for you? If not let us know and we can get this for you. 
Thanks, 
Zoie

A pod is on its way. I do not believe I need to pay for this? Thanks. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Only the top Tiers and VOLT users get free pods.  For other users they are £8pm for up to 3 Pods.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Zoie, got one White Wifi Pod. Has improved coverage, but still got some areas with poor zero coverage. Is it possible to get another two pods please. I am an Ultimate Volt package customer.

Hi Lezhood 👋🏼.

Thank you for coming back to us on this thread 😊.

Glad to see one WIFI Pod was able to improve coverage, we can look into this for you to see which areas have zero coverages.

I will have to private message you, please watch out for the envelope ✉

If you ever wanted additional pods in the future, you can also call our team on 👉🏼 0345 454 1111.

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide