cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband signal keeps dropping

Hutty11
Joining in

Hi, I've had the service for little over a month and the broadband is constantly dropping out. 

I have a very unhappy family as we had no problems with previous supplier. 

Any chance I could book an engineer please? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Hutty11 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your broadband at this time. 

I have checked the systems at our side and cannot see any issues that might be the cause for this. 

Do you notice the drop outs over any wired devices or is it only over your WiFi connected devices? 

Is the issue on multiple devices or just affecting the one? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Hutty11 wrote:

Hi, I've had the service for little over a month and the broadband is constantly dropping out.  

Are you sure that the broadband is dropping out  -or is it just the wifi connection that is dropping ?

So, are your connection issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check on one to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens if a Hub3 is the base light a steady white(ish) or flashing green?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Hutty11 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your broadband at this time. 

I have checked the systems at our side and cannot see any issues that might be the cause for this. 

Do you notice the drop outs over any wired devices or is it only over your WiFi connected devices? 

Is the issue on multiple devices or just affecting the one? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi,

It's happening over WiFi on multiple devices. We have gone through the online troubleshooting but nothing has worked so far. 

ns006m
Tuning in

You need to go hardwired and switch the router to modem only.

I had the same problem, 3 engineer visits, all connections changed inside and out, a hub change and was still getting disconnects. I cured the problem by putting the router into modem only mode. Not had a disconnect since.

Hi @Hutty11,

Can you clarify the troubleshooting you've performed thus far?

Is there a pattern as to when the drop outs happen? For example, is it happening at around the same time each day? Is it only happening on certain devices? Is it only happening within certain areas/rooms of the home?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi, we have tried all the options it gives in the app/website. 

It happens at random times and mostly seems to affect mobile devices and iPads. Consoles etc are not affected as often. It seems that one portion of the house suffers more, but we can't move the hub as that's where the engineers installed it. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If its wifi only see this..

On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App or Apple Airport Utility) to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 30 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible - if you are - it is clearly stated on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month for up to 3 pods (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point(s), (4) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for coming back to us @Hutty11,

Do please review the helpful post from @jbrennand and return to us if any further assistance is required.

It may also be worth setting up a Broadband Quality Monitor, to keep track of the drops on the service.

Thanks

David_Bn