cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media sales lies and subsequent bills

johng94
Tuning in

Hi there,

I am in the process of cancelling my account, due to moving properties. Essentially I was lied to by a sales rep with virgin who sold me on a 24 month contract stating it would be easy to cancel despite my initial request for month to month. On the phone the sales rep advised that even if the area was serviceable, if I couldn't proceed with the contract I'd be able to cancel no problem. Clearly this was incorrect and this guy way trying to up his sales.

The cancellation process has been a nightmare. I have just been sent a cancellation bill despite speaking to at least 4 people to resolve this, which included 2 promises of call backs which didn't happen. I am tired of having to explain my situation when I'm in this situation due to blatant lying. I cannot afford to pay this cancellation at the stress is having significant impacts on my well being. I have just raised a complaint but have no confidence in this process. I am now worried I am going to be stung with more charges.

Please help.

10 REPLIES 10

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

That's awful to read. You are another victim of a sales person saying anything to get their commission. 

The internal complaint will go nowhere because it is not independent. They just want to keep getting your money for two years. And if you stop paying they will hit your credit records with a default that will hurt you if you ever want a loan or mortgage.

Your best course now is to take this to Citizens Advice. They will have experience of dealing with cases of mis-selling. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks Jpeg, have contacted Citizens Advice. Would like to hear from a Virgin Media rep on this platform if they see this.

Hi @johng94 

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am so sorry for the poor experience. 

I'm afraid we can not assist with cancellations on this platform but if you have raised a complaint regarding the issues highlighted, that will be fully investigated.

If you do cancel whilst a contract is still in effect, then any early disconnection fees will be valid. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Ayisha,

Disappointing that like everyone else I've spoken to, you are of no help. No one seems to know what they are doing at Virgin. I received a call from a manager regarding the complaint and they left a voicemail. No instructions of who to call back to. I have been on the phone all morning, disconnected 4 times, being sent to useless departments who cannot do anything. If you could escalate this please as the treatment has been absolutely disgusting. I'll be referring to the ombudsman as clearly Virgin would rather ignore any reasonable means of resolution. It's absolutely awful and the worst experience I've ever had with an organisation.

If you are moving out, and we can't provide services where you are going there wouldn't be any charges for leaving us.

Is this the case with you? 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

johng94
Tuning in

trying to resolve an early cancellation fee. Lies by multiple departments, wrong information on each call. I've had to explain what had been happening each time. Finally got through to a manager, no resolution. 'Case will be solved in 7 days' yeah right. I feel sick. No one cares. No one helped. I can't afford this fee they want. I was lied to by a sales team. I was lied to by the complaints team. Manager didn't want to help. No one seems to want to take charge. I feel sick. Don't sign up to Virgin. They are a disgusting organisation 

Hi johng94, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear you've been having an issue speaking to the team regarding early termination fees that you've been charged. When you disconnect whilst in your minimum term, then an early termination fee would apply. You can read more about this here

If the reason for cancelling was due to moving and we are unable to provide services at the new address then the early termination fees may be waived as long as you can provide proof of the new address within 30 days of leaving. When speaking to the movers team, they will usually get the ball rolling for this process. 

Please let us know more information about the circumstances around why you needed to disconnect and we can then help further. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Matt,

My new accommodation came all inclusive, as such I cannot set up any internet on my own accord. I checked this scenario with the Sales rep on the initial call. He confirmed I'd be fine in being able to cancel the contract. I feel what he advised was misleading, as initially I called to go month to month and was informed this would be a better deal.

I have since spoken with a manager, who was not able to help resolve on the call and also hung up on me after i wanted further clarity on the situatuon. She advised I'd have to wait another 7 days for the team to look into this. Which is the third time this has happened. I'm very exhausted and mentally drained. I'm worried once again, no one will look into this. Feels like the only thing Virgin cares about it money. I'm going month to month and cannot afford such a large fee. There was no compromise or resolution sought from the manager, which is very concerning. Please help

Hi Kath,

I now understand the moving terms. The issue is I feel I've been misled on the initial sales call by the rep. This has been the issue the entire time. Everyone keeps avoiding this when I speak with them. No one is reviewing that first call. Because when I advise of my new address, as it technically can be serviced by virgin, the team members point this out. Unfortunately I don't control the utilities at this residence and cannot continue. I raised this scenario with the sales rep on the call, who advised it would be fine anyway. This is my issue and it's not being resolved. No one is helping and I'm very frustrated and upset as I cannot afford this bill.