cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

very difficult - Hub and answering machine location

Trunckles
Tuning in

My home phone answering machine base unit is in the kitchen and the Hub is upstairs. It would be very inconvenient to relocate the answering machine upstairs. Equally with  a LAN system around a desktop pc upstairs it would be very difficult to relocate the hub downstairs. I am very annoyed that this is being forced upon us.

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Trunckles 

Thank you so much for the update- we're so pleased to hear this 🙌

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Trunckles 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

Changing to the phone service via cable is a government objective and this has to be completed by 2025, we are choosing to take the change over now to ensure all of our customers have been migrated prior to the current telephone exchange being closed down in 2025.
You can see more on this here 👉 https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover and https://www.futureofvoice.co.uk/

Would you like us to book in a technician visit to see if they can do any wiring modifications/relocations?

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Trunckles wrote:

My home phone answering machine base unit is in the kitchen and the Hub is upstairs. It would be very inconvenient to relocate the answering machine upstairs. Equally with  a LAN system around a desktop pc upstairs it would be very difficult to relocate the hub downstairs. I am very annoyed that this is being forced upon us.

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

It would help a great deal if the telephone wiring could be modified, so that the telephone could remain in place. There is an unused telephone point adjacent to my Hub but not sure if it is working. I assume all the telephone sockets in my house are connected to the (NTL/Virgin) phone point at the front of the house as we originally had separate wired handsets in 4 rooms.

Is there a cost for booking a technician?

Thanks for coming back to us Trunckles, we would be able to get this booked in for you free of charge as this would be done as part of the network migration. 

Would you like me to arrange that for you?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Hi, Steven

Yes please! That would be great!

Thanks for coming  back to me Trunckles, I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment. Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

Speedy response from Virgin, technician came on 6 April, early by arrangement on mobile phone, installed a connection, tested the phone and readied the system for the changeover..All in less than 20 mins without a charge. Excellent service. Many thanks to everyone involved

Hi @Trunckles 

Thank you so much for the update- we're so pleased to hear this 🙌

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Trunkles, I have a similar issue where my hub is upstairs with printer, pc, etc connected via lan, the connection goes around the side of the house into the upstairs room. The telephone is downstairs in the living room with a seperate connection coming in from the front door. Can I ask how they modified the wiring for it to work? Did the tech have to run new wires? I dont want to take up floorboards or have wiring running round walls etc..  

Lee