cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch to fibre phone

ndmoses
Joining in

Hi,

I've received an SMS message saying I will be switched to the fibre phone on the 11th May and I would be sent an adapter to connect to my hub.

I also received a letter saying I needed to contact Virgin Media to arrange for delivery of a new WiFi Hub to connect the fibre phone. 

I've tried calling Virgin Media on 150 and they know nothing about the switchover or how to arrange for a new hub to be delivered. They tried to transfer me to someone to help without any success. I waiting a long time to speak to the right person, only to be told that they are having system issues and to call back in about 2 hours. I'm not a happy customer.

So I'm left not being able to arrange for the delivery of the new hub. I'm assuming this new hub is needed because my current V6 hub does not support the fibre phone? 

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil Moses

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ndmoses 

Welcome back to the community forums. 

Sorry to hear that you haven't been able to get the support on the phone regarding your home phone switchover. 

For the new fibre phone service you will need to have a Hub 3 or above, so either a Hub 3, 4 or 5. Checking this system at our side, I can see that you have an eligable hub for the migration to go ahead,and all you will need is the adapter that we'll send in the post to you 2 weeks before the migration date advised in the letter. 

A V6 is the set top box we use for a TV service and would not be used/needed an upgrade for the phone migration to go ahead. 

Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ndmoses 

Welcome back to the community forums. 

Sorry to hear that you haven't been able to get the support on the phone regarding your home phone switchover. 

For the new fibre phone service you will need to have a Hub 3 or above, so either a Hub 3, 4 or 5. Checking this system at our side, I can see that you have an eligable hub for the migration to go ahead,and all you will need is the adapter that we'll send in the post to you 2 weeks before the migration date advised in the letter. 

A V6 is the set top box we use for a TV service and would not be used/needed an upgrade for the phone migration to go ahead. 

Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Carley

Hi Carly,

That is really helpful and answered what I needed to know. I'll wait for the adapter to arrive. 

Many thanks,

Neil

Happy to help @ndmoses

Have a lovely rest of your day 🙂

Here to help 🙂
Carley

I too have had the same text message, but then also a letter saying that I should order a new hub.

I <think> I have a Super Hub 3. Does that mean I should just wait for the adapter?

Also, my mother in law is with you. She's not received any comms about this yet but I'm going to assume she will. She's over 80 and needs use of her other phones in her house (particularly upstairs). How will her extension phones continue to work please???

@DonnyDriver wrote:

I too have had the same text message, but then also a letter saying that I should order a new hub.

I <think> I have a Super Hub 3. Does that mean I should just wait for the adapter?

Also, my mother in law is with you. She's not received any comms about this yet but I'm going to assume she will. She's over 80 and needs use of her other phones in her house (particularly upstairs). How will her extension phones continue to work please???

There have been quite a few recent posts about VM sending out letters instructing the customer to order a new hub when they already have a suitable hub. Very likely a case of VM 'confusion' going on.

You can identify your Hub model here

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/existing-customer-deals/hub

about half way down the page (Hubs 3, 4 and 5 have phone sockets on the back. Early Superhubs do not). VM supplies a phone adapter and this is used to connect to the TEL1 port on the VM hub as below

21-cv-connection-to-hub.jpg

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here, when they reply to this topic) to modify your mother-in-law's home phone wiring so she can use her existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to her phone wiring so she can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Hey DonnyDriver,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.

If you have a hub 3, you should be able to use the phone line via that hub as it has the phone sockets available. The adaptor should be with you a few weeks before the changeover is supposed to go ahead.

We are doing the changeover at different stages, so your mother in law's changeover might not be scheduled to happen but she will be contacted with a date as soon as the team have one. As goslow advised that we can rewire the connections to ensure that the extensions continue to work. 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Thank you very much.

ahrbee
Fibre optic

I have just had an e-mail about the changeover and requirement for a new hub. I required me to call 150. Fortunately, I managed to make a 150 call without a long wait but I was told that I must be at home to receive my new hub at a time and date determined by VM. I will be informed of that time and date within 24 hours by text.  If that time is not possible for me, I must call back to re-arrange. My experience with making 150 calls is that there can be a long wait - to do what? Will I be entered in another lottery for another date determined by VM which may or may not be possible for me? The possibility of hours of wasted time opens before me.

Fortunately I do not have an alarm linked to my VM phone line but if I did, I would not have much time to contact my alarm company and, if necessary, make other arrangements. VM made a complete customer service mess of the great SIM switch a few years ago and this again looks like an imposed change to suit VM leaving the customer to make the best of a bad job or leave. I hope this works smoothly but I am now getting worried.

Hey @ahrbee,

Welcome back to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear about your experience with yous over the phone, I can assure you that once the appointment is made for the new Hub you can look at changing this date via our website here. This will allow you to check the date of arrivals and if wanted amend the date.

Hope this helps. Joe